Chicken Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A rock in the coop. Bugs love rocks, chickens love bugs, therefore...

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I keep a chunk of wood or two in their run during the summer and flip the wood over every few days. Fresh bugs to keep them entertained for a while. They also have my hubby wrapped around their claw! Found he does this for them too with our fire wood when he's working on our fire wood pile. Tillie hollers and hollers at him staying under foot until he flips a chunk of wood over for her. She's a fast learner when it comes to where to get yummies. ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
A good idea that we have is a constant source of water. There was a old smoke house for tabacco by a stream on our property. We used the house as a coop and had a pvc pipe carefully placed in the stream and ran into the run into a pot. All that is left is for gravity to do its work. Never have to constantly give water. Have exta water during winter just in case it freezes up, but never had that problem

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I discovered a chickens weakness...

CORN TORTILLAS!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
My daughter is twelve and she loves to find my ladies bugs and worms. The ladies just talk up a storm when the see that she's out in the yard under rocks and pieces of wood because they know she will be bringing them a treat.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone want to keep this thread going?

·
178 Posts
Plant some grass seed or bird seed in a raised garden bed and cover with chicken wire in your chicken run.
That way they can have an endless supply of greens.

Our chickens free range most of the time, but when we are away they are locked in the run for safety and to make is easier for our neighbours to look after.
They do love their greens! :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Plant some grass seed or bird seed in a raised garden bed and cover with chicken wire in your chicken run.

Our chickens free range most of the time, but when we are away they are locked in the run for safety and to make is easier for our neighbours to look after.
Good idea! You should share pics

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts

Do you have a pic of your setup?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts