Chicken Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get some ducks. What ones don't make much of a mess and are good at free ranging and being in a coop in run. And which ones can live with chickens the best? Please let me know your suggestions thanks

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
There is no such thing as a duck that wont make a mess. Any breed can live with chickens. All ducks can free range or penned but if you don't want certain breeds from flying you will need to clip feathers.

I would suggest researching each breed, Metzers (just google for the web page) is a great starting place to learn all the things you need to know about ducks. When picking ducks (or chickens) going by what other people like doesn't work for everyone. There is no one right answer to your questions about "what breed is best". Each person has different needs, different set up, different personalities, and different weather. All these need to be considered when picking a new flock. These animals need certain care and shouldn't be purchased in a whim. It will make you happier as the owner and the flock happier if you know all you can before getting your new birds. Meaning not just asking for opinions but actually educating yourself about the birds you seek. And yes I know you can ask as many questions as you want and seek other suggestions or opinions. I am simply giving my opinion. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I did some research on ducks and decided to get buff ducks. Does anyone have any experience with these ducks if so please let me know everything

1 - 4 of 4 Posts