Goats. ..

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Maryellen, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

So I finally gave in and let bill get goats.
    He has been building a 5 x 6 goat house. We are getting 3 male goats in sept. All 3 will be 12 weeks old. One is a Nigerian dwarf goat, and the other 2 are mini lamancha /Nigerian dwarf .

The goat house

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the 3 amigos.
    Inky

[​IMG]

Dopey

[​IMG]

Moose

[​IMG]

They should be ready in sept, around 12 weeks old

Sent from my SM-G900V using Chicken Forum mobile app

2. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

Get ready to have fun. Goats are very smart. Very, very smart and they like humans a ton.

I hope he's going to install a heavy metal grate over that window because one of them will bust it out. Their curiosity knows no bounds and an unprotected window would be a perfect curiosity point.

After my old horse had to be put down his companion goat went to live with my vet. She lived in an old farm house, the kind with a dirt basement you accessed from outside. Seems Billie, the goat, got the door open and let himself and a heifer in to the basement area. That area only had enough room for someone to work on the furnace and hot water heater. So they got stuck. When she got home she found both of them in the basement with all of the AC ducting torn out.

Before he went to live with her he broke in to my feed room, never figured out how. Got the feed bin open and ate until he made himself sick. Had a belly ache that just went on and on and he cried about it the entire time.

That animal was a hoot. And I knew every time he got out of the pasture because Max, my horse, would start hollering.

3. nannypattyrn

nannypattyrn Well-Known Member

4. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

I've never owned a goat, dont know much about them. But if I ever decide to get one, I'm glad there's people here that could answer any questions I might have.
    I know about chickens, hogs, and bulldogs (UGA's.) lol.

nannypattyrn likes this.
  5. Maryellen

Oh thank you!!!I will have bill put wire up over both Windows so they can't break out

6. robin416

They are going to grab your heart from the get go. They want to know about everything you're doing. Mine would get jealous if I brushed Max too long and would head butt me in the behind so I'd brush him.

nannypattyrn likes this.
  7. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

Lucky you and Bill!!!I had a billy goat and we would wrestle each other to the ground.I usually won because I was 3x's bigger but he usually started it by sneaking up on me from behind.He was fun.If you have trees you like,protect them.Mine took off all the low branches of my pine trees.They are excellent for cleaning up vegetation like out of control blackberry patches that other animals won't touch.They go for head high or higher stuff,usually ignoring the ground vegetation.I'm seriously thinking about 3 Nubian goats for myself.They produce a really creamy milk,they can carry packs and pull a cart.I still have to convince Dale...

8. robin416

CQ, you reminded me about the vegetation clean up. It was amazing how much he accomplished. The one thing I learned years later though, if they are not raised where that kind of forage is part of everyday fodder chances are you won't get them to eat it.

9. Maryellen

Bill is doing great with his research, he said he is putting up wire over the windows.. I was impressed, I told him to do all the research and he is..Hmmm the babies are on grass. I didn't see that many weeds though

10. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

Mini goats are cute,almost like a dog and they are lap size.I read most people bottle feed the babies so they don't get a disease(?),at least that's what I remembered.Bill needs to get his goats and bottle feed them and bond with them.Then he'd be Mama Goat.LOL

nannypattyrn likes this.
  11. Maryellen

Noooo no bottle feeding... then I'll have 3 in the house lol.. they are super friendly now. My friends handle them alot. Moe will eat goat turds nooooo

chickenqueen likes this.
  12. Maryellen

And he built a goat closet in their house tonight....that's insulated too

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. robin416

Put a lock on that door if that's where feed is going. Mine should never have been able to get in my feed room but he did.

14. Maryellen

He will have 2 locks on it, it's not finished yet. He still has to put bars on the windows and all handles and locks on everything

15. Maryellen

I just don't have the heart to tell him the closet took away room for 3 goats for sleeping. He still has to makee their raised bed in there.

16. robin416

And are you going to help him figure out a fix if it ends up just a tad tight in there?

17. Maryellen

Noooo. He will take out the closet he made it to be removable. The goats are all dwarfs and a mini, so they should be fine, if not ge will remove the closet

18. robin416

LOL I get the sense you're staying far far away from this. If that's true, once those babies are there you'll be hooked.

19. Maryellen

Oh no. I'm all excited . I just can't say anything about the building part, I just don't say a word..it takes him twice as long to do something, so I can't say anything.

20. Maryellen

Insulation up on bottom half, goat raised bed started, they can sleep on top or under it, bill still has to put a step so they can get to the bed, still work to do. .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017