Chicken Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Quick question do you think this steal feeder is goat proof? I want to know before i strap it into the pen. Here are the inside and out side of the feeder. If your wondering we have milk goat crosses. One wheather and one female.(there twins). So what do you think? Also it's a 25 pound of feed feeder.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Wood
Road surface Wood Gas Asphalt Trunk
Road surface Wood Grass Line Rectangle
Plant Rectangle Sunlight Grass Font

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As long as they can't tip it over it should be.

But here is my concern, it's metal and you want to leave it in the run. With heating and cooling it will sweat and contaminate the feed.
Hmm well it has stayed out side for a while because we were testing it. We have had no issues with sweating. We also we will keep it out side. No help heating nor cooling.

·
Administrator
22,322 Posts
No, you don't understand. With heating and cooling of the day the metal heats and cools. Moisture condenses on the inside and contaminates the feed. Summer will be a really bad time for it to be outside.

It's why we're told not to use metal garbage cans for feed if it stays outside.

·
Super Moderator
3,878 Posts
It depends on your goats. My Pygmies would figure that feeder out.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
We have Nubian and Nigerian goats. From what I can see I don't think they'd get the feed, but they'd be on top of it a lot. If the metal isn't heavy duty it would soon be bent, scratched, warped and anything else little hooved feet could do to it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have Nubian and Nigerian goats. From what I can see I don't think they'd get the feed, but they'd be on top of it a lot. If the metal isn't heavy duty it would soon be bent, scratched, warped and anything else little hooved feet could do to it.
Well we have placed the feeder between two trees and made a cratel thing with 2x4s. 2 on top teo right in to the trees on the sides. It seems to be holding up well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts