Chicken Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any one has tried adding new babies to moms who have hatched out babies already. What are the chances the moms will except the new babies.

·
Registered
363 Posts
do it at night, birds can't count. :D
i kept adding peeps up under my broody hen
she raised all of them no problem, there is a limit though
don't add 30 or 40, she can't keep that many warm.
And if she isn't broody or hasn't been for long?

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
The moms I have had would kill any babies that weren't hers from the first day. Maybe it depends on the chicken, but all of mine were pretty territorial and killed peeps from other moms that somehow worked their way into each others enclosures.

If you do, do it at night so they can talk, BUT be there in the morning to take those peeps should mom realize that they aren't hers.

I had one that killed a peep that looked exactly like her peeps. She somehow knew.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
We added a Serama that was under mom, but she left the nest with the others that had hatched, so we put that one in the already running bator, put it with mom after it hatched, and finally had to remove, we now call it (we think a roo at this point) "Bloody Head". Feathers are coming in, but not sure if there will be scar, or hit he/she will turn out ok, we are at about 4 weeks old now. Good luck!

·
1,466 Posts
And if she isn't broody or hasn't been for long?
i did it with a broody hen i'm talking REALLY broody
now if you just have normal laying hens & want to put already hatched chicks up under them.......that is asking for trouble IMHO

good luck
piglett

·
Registered
363 Posts
i did it with a broody hen i'm talking REALLY broody
now if you just have normal laying hens & want to put already hatched chicks up under them.......that is asking for trouble IMHO

good luck
piglett
Yes i have a game hen that follows me everywhere...but she tends to go broody a lot...but the chicks might be a bit older by the time she goes broody lol

·
1,466 Posts
Yes i have a game hen that follows me everywhere...but she tends to go broody a lot...but the chicks might be a bit older by the time she goes broody lol
some hens will take them even if they are not broody
has she been a mom before?
put a couple in with her in a broody box
but stay rite there & watch them for a while
if she tucks them up under her body/wings you might be in luck

good luck
piglett

·
Registered
363 Posts
some hens will take them even if they are not broody
has she been a mom before?
put a couple in with her in a broody box
but stay rite there & watch them for a while
if she tucks them up under her body/wings you might be in luck

good luck
piglett
Thank you....I'm sure she has been a mom....someone brought her to our rescue and she had canker...it went all the way to her brain and we saved her :) now she's a happy pretty girl

1 - 14 of 14 Posts