1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Food Vertebrate Egg Finger Animal product
Food Ingredient Egg Animal product Cuisine
Found this giant egg on the floor of my coop. I thought it was a painfully large chicken egg, but my mom thinks it is a turkey egg. I can’t find a picture of what Sweetgrass turkey eggs look like. Theoretically, it “could” be because I did have the coop door open, but I thought turkeys didn’t lay until spring?

·
Super Moderator
3,841 Posts
Well i have some really big eggs. Like this one. So does it look any thing like any of your chickens eggs. View attachment 42908
Yes it can be a turkey egg. I have one two year old female Eastern Wild turkey who has tried to be broody most of this year. She has laid a total of almost 55 eggs. We raised a few from one batch and sent a few to Dan. The EWT eggs are lighter and speckled. As we head into Fall, they are almost fully grown.
Plant Bird Water Phasianidae Wild turkey

Reactions: ChickenMom24

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it can be a turkey egg. I have one two year old female Eastern Wild turkey who has tried to be broody most of this year. She has laid a total of almost 55 eggs. We raised a few from one batch and sent a few to Dan. The EWT eggs are lighter and speckled. As we head into Fall, they are almost fully grown. View attachment 42920
Nice turkeys! 😊 Most of the pictures of turkey eggs I have found online are speckled. I wish I could find a picture of the Sweetgrass eggs.

·
Super Moderator
3,841 Posts
Nice turkeys! 😊 Most of the pictures of turkey eggs I have found online are speckled. I wish I could find a picture of the Sweetgrass eggs.
The bottom one is a tom, the top is a hen, they free range all the time but spend a lot of time near the house and farm buildings begging for treats.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I have to disagree with PJ. It's a large chicken egg. Shape and color are wrong for a turkey egg. Turkey eggs are pointy, more like a huge guinea egg.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,249 Posts
It did look like a chicken egg to me not a turkey.🤨

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Yes it can be a turkey egg. I have one two year old female Eastern Wild turkey who has tried to be broody most of this year. She has laid a total of almost 55 eggs. We raised a few from one batch and sent a few to Dan. The EWT eggs are lighter and speckled. As we head into Fall, they are almost fully grown. View attachment 42920
They are a beautiful pair. My two are almost full size now and a definite male and female. It's to bad they are siblings; otherwise they'd make a great breeding pair. Is the peacock in the picture a black-shouldered?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts