·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I
Wood Twig Grass Natural material Pattern

Brown Twig Wood Grass Terrestrial animal

Recipe Grass Mixture Dish Plant

have 3 hens & a rooster n a decent size coupe, changed to laying feed a week ago , but not getting even partially formed eggs. They’re trying to lay but what comes out looks mushy, rice textured. Looking online n cant find much on this problem specifically. Also, after switching to layer feed how long until you would expect progress. And I know that many different factors play into hens laying, just not sure which way to go with this issue. If anyone can throw some knowledge my way it’d b much appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are ants and they are with their pupae. I strongly suggest that you clean out your coop and nest boxes and apply either Permethrin dust or Sevin dust in your coop and nest boxes.
I’m aware those are ants, they’re eating what the chickens are laying. I thought it may b where my chickens are young & I just started feeding laying feed vs scratch up until recently. The only reason the ants are so bad is due to what’s coming out of the chickens not a dirty coupe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m aware those are ants, they’re eating what the chickens are laying. I thought it may b where my chickens are young & I just started feeding laying feed vs scratch up until recently. The only reason the ants are so bad is due to what’s coming out of the chickens not a dirty coupe.
I’ve had chickens before, never seen this problem though & had more than triple the number I have now. I’ve looked up every type of worm & no further on what the cause is than I was a week ago

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Since you were feeding your hens scratch, then recently switching to layer feed, it's going to take a while for your hens to produce solid eggs. Provide your hens grit, and especially crushed oyster shell which contains calcium to help harden shells. The calcium in layer feed may not be enough to harden shells at this particular time.

Just for your information; day old chicks should be fed chick starter feed up until about 20 weeks old, then switched to layer feed. They shouldnt be fed scratch. You can give full grown adult hens scratch as a treat once in a while. Scratch doesnt contain the necessary nutrients and minerals needed to sustain ongoing egg production in hens.
Scratch is fine for roosters, but not hens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts