Getting Impatient!

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by lorindaeb, Nov 20, 2012.

1. lorindaeb

lorindaeb Junior Member

I'm getting a little impatient with my girls!!! They are 21 weeks old, buff orps and EEs, and I wanna see eggs!!!!! Up north where I'm from, there isn't a lot of daylight, so I rigged up a 60 watt bulb in the coop to give them more "light" to see if it kicks them into gear. I know it can take several more weeks for them to be ready, but I want to see some results!! :D
    I keep seeing people post pictures of their eggs and I can't wait to do so as well! Their combs and faces sure are red on some days, but then of course on others, they are just a light pink. This morning they were all bright red...all four of them. Only one of them lets me get close enough to touch her (a buff orp) and she kinda squats down when you touch her, but I don't know if it is the true squating that everyone seems to talk about. The others, well, who knows, they run away as soon as you get close. They want to follow me, but don't want me touching them. Anyway, that's it for my rant. LOL! Come on girls! Show me the eggs!!!:p
    ~Lorinda~

2. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Patience grasshopper. ;)

By the way, I haven't seen that in the first year, with spring chicks, adding light helps in any way. A spring chick/pullet coming into her first laying season is going to lay when her body tells her it's time and not a second before. The upside to that, regardless of breed, they also lay fairly well through their first winters. Breeds known to take the winter off, not be good winter layers, usually don't cut back until their second winter.

And yes, squatting is a good reliable sign that they are getting close to laying.

3. rob

rob New Member

mine started at about 27 weeks. although my silkie is 30 weeks old and still hasnt layed an egg.

4. chickflick

chickflick New Member

Each chicken is born with the number of eggs she will lay in her life time. So, if you put a light on during winter to extend their days, they'll stop laying eggs at a younger age. I like to let nature dictate their egg laying. It's better for them to have the rest that is intended during the winter months. And, since it's shorter days, the laying might be postponed.
    That said, sounds like they are getting close to laying with the combs getting red. Squatting is another sign. Be patient, it will happen. You'll be so excited when it does happen.

5. qcupoultry

qcupoultry New Member

Some red pepper flakes and black oil sunflower seeds mixed into some game bird layer works for me. I let my girls take part of the winter off to rest, but then I start them up by putting lights/timer in the coop and give them their booster feed once a day.

6. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

My Ameraucana is 7 months old but no egg yet. She's been "practicing" occasionally though. About a month ago she was in the nest boxes for the evening and I got so excited then to find no egg. The tease! Tonight she was laying on the 2 eggs that were laid during the day by the other girls. Finally took them out. She can practice more tomorrow. ;) Who knows, maybe she will give me her first egg for Thanksgiving! That would be awesome! :) So I guess together we wait Lorinda. :p

7. lorindaeb

lorindaeb Junior Member

Waiting together for sure! Can't say how much I have come to love all of you on here and we have never met. Everyone is so caring and full of wonderful ideas! Thanks soooooo much!!

8. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Well, thanks a lot for the tease again Josie!!! All she left me in the end was 3 poop piles! :eek:

9. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

That naughty girl! :eek:
    Seriously for you and Rob...some of my last birds to lay have been EEs and silkies.
    You'll get your surprises soon, I'll bet. :)

10. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

I have 2 pullets that just turned six months and three hens that I am unaware of their age, but was told they were of laying age. The laying hens did not lay until after a month of being in their new home. Someone told me to give them a watermelon and they would start laying. So that week, I gave them a watermelon, still no eggs. So, I gave them a pumpkin and the next day....eggs!! I only get three eggs a days. I know the blue pullet and the blue hen are laying, but I can't figure out who the third one is? I do not think it is the other pullet, maybe one of the other hens?

It will be well worth the wait. I felt like I did all the work lol...one day when you least expect it, eggs!! Good luck!!

11. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

My wait is over! Josie gave me my first colored egg today. Just a light tinge of blue that the camera couldn't seem to pick up so it looks white in pic. My Thanksgiving Day surprise. :D Thanks Josie!!!

Attached Files:

12. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Nice! I have a long way to go to see any eggs from my silkie or quails.

13. chickflick

chickflick New Member

14. lorindaeb

lorindaeb Junior Member

My two buff Orpington's combs and wattles seem to have grown overnight! And this morning, one of my girls was "singing" quite loudly. Although no eggs have been seen yet, I'm hopeful that it may be soon. They are 22 weeks this week and last week I added extra light to the coop. I'll keep you all updated. Maybe I'll be posting an egg pic soon!

15. shickenchit

shickenchit New Member

You can figure out who the 3rd egg layer is by looking at their vents. Just FYI.. It will be opened more than the non layers and appear moist if she is actively laying. Hope this helps..

16. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

Yeah...chicken class in now in session...hmm, I will look at their vents today. I have been looking at their feet, waddles, and such to get to know my chickens, but never looked there...:eek:

The things I do for my chickens.

17. govols28

govols28 New Member

You can also check the width of her hips, a hen that is laying will have about three finger width in her pelvis.

18. My3Cats

My3Cats New Member

good eggs are worth the wait. I thought for sure Id have to buy city slicker eggs and yesterday I got 6 eggs!!! Some of my hens are getting thru the molt including my americaunas one which layed an olive green egg yesterday!

19. rob

rob New Member

looks well worth the wait :)

20. toybarons

toybarons I luv Polish & Houdans

Remember to that there is no set rule for when pullets are ready to lay. Larger breeders take longer to mature to get to point of lay. Some heritage breeds take longer to lay when compard to breeds, say like ISA Browns. I know with my houdans you're lucky if the pullets begin laying much before 6 months. Once they get going though, there is no turning the egg tap off :)