Ducks Getting concerned

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by 444lover, May 15, 2018.

1. 444lover

444lover Member

Sunday was the day of lock down for the duck eggs. I decided to put some paper towels in the bottom for traction and to make it easier to clean after they hatched. When I moved 2 of them to put the towels in there,I noticed they had pipped. After I put the towels where they had been,I moved them back to where they were. I don't them I turned them in the process but the fact I moved them I thought maybe I disoriented them. The next morning I noticed another egg had pipped and a while later it hatched. The 2 that had already pipped still haven't hatched yet or changed at all that I can tell and it's been 48 hours. They're not actually suppose to hatch until tomorrow but the fact they've been pipped for 48 hours and I don't see any changes I'm getting really concerned. Any suggestions on what I should do?? Should I go ahead and carefully open them up the rest of the way or just leave them alone until Thursday?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Super Mod Staff Member

If duck pips are like chicken pips, the chicken egg pips are almost always at "2 o'clock" near the fat end.

If they're not supposed to hatch til tomorrow, I would wait. After pipping a chick has to wait for all the blood in the veins on the egg drain back into the chick. If you help too early, you can damage a vein and the chick would bleed out. Is the pip all the way through or just a crack?

3. 444lover

444lover Member

Looks like it's all the way through,a small hole.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Super Mod Staff Member

Okay well breathing is good and the duckling has time. Keep the humidity high.

444lover and boskelli1571 like this.
  5. 444lover

444lover Member

I'm trying to keep it above 65% but 70-80% is what I've been getting, which is ideal,occasionally it gets down to 60,like yesterday,had a hard time getting it above 60.

seminolewind likes this.
  6. 444lover

444lover Member

I feel a little better now,1 of them that pipped Sunday just hatched a little bit ago. :)

seminolewind and Sylie like this.
  7. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

Wow!!!Ducklings take time to free themselves but they're hatching.Congratulations!!!I wonder if geese are the same.

444lover likes this.
  8. 444lover

444lover Member

Yeah,it's great,4th time's a charm.
    I don't know,but may find out someday.

chickenqueen likes this.