Gender check!

Discussion in 'What Breed/Gender is This?' started by mitzy123point, Jan 13, 2020 at 2:34 PM.

1. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

I have 3 chicks that are 15 weeks old. 2 I am positive on the gender and the other I was positive until last week “she” is starting to look a bit like a he. Her brother has been a clear rooster since 4 weeks old as was her 3 full brothers from my last hatch. But who knows . My rooster HATES the rooster chick but loves and feeds this questionable one as well as the pullet. All 3 hatched the same day with 12 other chicks that are all gone now these are the three I decided to keep.

This is the for sure pullet. She is a dilute blue ameraucana.[​IMG][​IMG]

This is the for sure rooster. He is a Dul Spearmint and was auto sexed [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the one in question... she is a black ameraucana [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Here we are again with me guessing girl. But as you know that doesn't mean a thing.

I'll holler at NM to see if he'll toss his expertise into this decision.

3. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

I’m hoping so!! She’s one of my favorites she just has a very masculine stance and some pictures she looks more rooster than others, but her sister and mom was the same way as you know this is another picture of her from last week when she was really looking rooster ish [​IMG][​IMG]

4. robin416

You're right, that body language suggests male. I had Silkies that would keep me guessing because of that.

mitzy123point likes this.
  5. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

I’m definitely hoping hen other than body language I’m leaning towards pullet. Personality and sounds and the behavior of the others all point to pullet I guess I’ll have to wait a few more weeks

6. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

Did they end up being roos or hens?

7. robin416

Silkies can be notorious for sexing accurately until they either lay an egg or crow but if you raise them long enough you can spot the signs of which sex.

The one I was thinking of was one girl that kept me guessing until she laid her first egg at nine months. That's really old for sexing a Silkie.

8. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

She looks like a she. If a rooster the comb would be red by now and the tail feathers longer. My 2 ameracauna hens look just like her. My two are super witches

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2020 at 10:51 PM
  9. robin416

You mean I got one right? Finally?

10. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

I was thinking hen also but her legs look a little thick to me, maybe it's just the pic. Other wise, all signs so far point to hen imho

11. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

Oh good!!! Glad you guys think pullet! I love her! She’s just masculine when she stands her legs are as thick as her sisters maybe a tad bigger, but her sister was one of the ones I posted about that froze so she had a bit of a rough start and has been on the smaller side ever since. They still all sleep under mom which is about the cutest thing ever! They are almost full grown here’s them with mom a few weeks ago just cause [​IMG]

12. robin416

I had Silkies chicks do that. I had one that was several months old, Mom hatched some new chicks and he still tried everything he could to get back under her at night.

That's one of the many things that makes them so interesting.

Sylie and mitzy123point like this.
  13. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

Mine are all hatchery so they never had a mom that they knew. (besides me lol, I spoil them) but when they were cold or scared they would come over and start peeping, I'd have to scoop them all up in one group and cuddle them to get them quiet again.

14. robin416

Yeah, peeps that are not raised by a Mom can be so different in behavior. Not as afraid of their humans as those being raised by a hen.

15. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

It’s so crazy mine have been the opposite but their mommas are always my favorites the chicks are such sweeties and will snuggle and jump on my back!

16. robin416

Most hens will warn their peeps that there is danger near. If the hen is not attached to their human I can guarantee she will be warning her peeps to stay away from the giants that are approaching.

17. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

I’ve been pretty lucky with friendly hens and friendly Broodys that know every time I show up I have food for them