Garlic

Discussion in 'Parasites, Pests, & Predators' started by Chickencrumpet, Oct 13, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Chickencrumpet

Chickencrumpet New Member

Hello to all! :)
    In Italy some breeders use to make a garlic macerated to give the birds against intestinal parasites. Do you do this too?

Also I put ACV in their water every month for a week. Can you use the garlic at the same time?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2012
  2. chookie

chookie New Member

Yes, absolutely. I put minced garlic in their water and also if one is sick I mince it in water, let it sit and give it by eye dropper. I have saved some of my girls doing this. Garlic is my go to, it is anti bacterial, anti parasitic....excellent!!

3. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I add dried garlic it to the feed, old habits are hard to break. :D

4. cogburn

cogburn New Member

I agree Sundancers..

5. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I didn't know about garlic till now reading this post. Thanks for sharing everyone! Something new to add to my store list. :)

6. Italy-Dan

Italy-Dan New Member

So garlic is very famous! :D :D I'm happy for you 7chicks.Now you know another important thing :)

7. MrsRoeder2011

MrsRoeder2011 New Member

will this work for my chicken that has a sneezing cold like problem ???

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

It's a natural antibiotic. Certainly worth a try.

9. MrsRoeder2011

MrsRoeder2011 New Member

10. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Health food stores.

11. MrsRoeder2011

MrsRoeder2011 New Member

I don't think have that here

12. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Should be able to get garlic right at your local grocery store. Just have to cut it up. I've never bought garlic so it will be an adventure for me too soon as I can get to town to buy some. I know there is the already dehydrated kind you can buy at the grocery store too. Its with the rest of the spices. Not sure if it has the same effect or not. Someone else on here that uses garlic will most likely be able to let us know MrsRoeder.

13. MrsRoeder2011

MrsRoeder2011 New Member

14. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Yes, you can get it at the grocery store. As my gralic didn't do well this year, I'll be doing the same thing. Some people add the dried dehydrated powder, with good luck. I like the dried small chunks, either way when you feed the chickens just put a good sprinkle in top.

15. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Thanks Sundancers. I was hoping you'd pop back in on this one. :D

16. Italy-Dan

Italy-Dan New Member

I don't think, however, garlic will work against colds.. : (

I use fresh garlic.I cut some pieces and put them in a bottle of water.I leave it closed 2-3 days and if you open it,it smells indeed very! : D lol
    Then I put it in the bowl of hens and they drink it.
    But I just let that water available. Because some hens may prefer the water they drink usually

17. chookie

chookie New Member

You can buy garlic in any grocery store. And as energyvet said it is worth a try as it is a natural antibiotic :)

18. chookie

chookie New Member

I should have mentioned to get the cloves of garlic and not the garlic that is already minced in a jar. I have a garlic press and that is what I use to mince the garlic. If you don't have one just chop it up very fine.

19. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Pampered Chef sells a lovely garlic press. I love mine. Just saying...

20. chookie

chookie New Member

That's where I got my garlic press Energyvet and like you I love it. The main thing is, if you are treating a sick chicken you want the garlic to be freshly minced as that is when the compounds in it are the most potent! Some people put it in the chickens water as a wormer, my friend uses the garlic powder and puts it on their food. Garlic is wonderful for both chickens and us. I use it regularly :)