Gardening in the tropics

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Biring, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

It tastes delicious! I had a mango dessert in a high-end restaurant and this tastes better.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  2. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Cool bowl, I can't imagine what a tree ripened mango tastes like.

3. Poultry Judge

I bet!

4. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

The guy who taps our rubber trees has just told me there’s a tiger prowling in our wood!

5. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Oh crap. What do you do to keep it away?

6. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

I welcome tigers. They are critically endangered and usually not dangerous to humans. My foster father taught me a lot about tigers, including how to protect myself. Sumatran tigers are the smallest race of tiger and are typically not too dangerous if you follow a few rules. Fingers crossed! (And a stinking cigarette butt behind my ear.)

7. robin416

I was thinking more about the birds and whether they're going to be a target of the cat. And Bear, will it come after Bear if she gets in a standoff with it?

8. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

Our woodland is five or six miles away (although last year we had a tiger take a couple of calves about half a mile away from here).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  9. robin416

One tiger took two calves? Isn't that more than normal?

Does Bear bark yet when something isn't right in her opinion?

10. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

I heard that someone accidentally killed her cub in a deer trap and that she was making her displeasure known.

Bear barks a bit too much. She barks when kids walk past our house on the public road. She barks at our neighbours when they are in their gardens. Hopefully she will learn when to bark and when to keep quiet.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  11. robin416

I had one that did that. If I introduced her to people she'd be fine whenever they appeared again. One time I introduced her to a gardener so she'd quit barking at him. She was good after that until one day she started barking at him again. Turns out he showed up in a different truck and she wasn't having it.

Biring likes this.
  12. Poultry Judge

How large is a typical tiger's range? Do they live in family groups?

13. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

Tigers range.over many square miles. Cubs will stay with their mum for many months.

14. Poultry Judge

Do people respect them being endangered?

15. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

People here are terrified of tigers.

16. Poultry Judge

I would imagine, they are also built in to the local culture.

17. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

There is a lot of money in endangered species and most of them end up getting exported to East Asia. I’ve heard that agents will supply, for example, high powered air rifles to hunters so they can bag as many hornbills as possible. The hornbill populations here have been hammered. They used to be an everyday sight, now they are increasingly rare. I haven’t seen a helmeted hornbill for years (their “horns” are considered a substitute for rhino horn in Chinese medicine).

18. Poultry Judge

I hate stuff like that!

19. robin416

At least there are groups out there trying to stop it.

20. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

They’re not talking to the right people. My friends here work as guides when there are guests, and pay lip service to conservation issues. When they don’t have guests they are out in the bush shooting birds to sell to the agents in the city, but they’ll never admit that to an outsider. My neighbour is doing her PhD on primate conservation but clearly has no idea how many primates are killed to provide baby monkeys for the pet trade. Because of my history here I can bridge that gap but I have to tread carefully.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020