Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you started seedlings yet? I ordered seeds and started some onions and leeks last week. And today I started six different lettuces, kohlrabi, broccoli, and spinach to hopefully move out to a cold frame as soon as I dare. Usually I do it too early and kill everything but I can't help myself.

This year I'm building a coldframe right next to the house so hopefully it will borrow some heat on cold nights.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I am going to start some next month. We can't plant till late may/June. I have a spot to put up some lights. It really irritates the hubby until harvest time. :)

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Bought some seeds on sale at Menards but I won't start planting seedlings for at least another month. Can't plant here either until late May early June. We get hard frost well into the end of June sometimes and then its back to frost time by end of August. =/ Jack Frost really likes us for some reason.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm hoping to have my spring stuff planted in a cold frame by mid march to early April. Then I can start my summer stuff to plant out in mid may through early June. I also have a hoop house that is 8x4. The onions and leeks should be fine in there.

Looking forward seeing how the nice compost helps things out.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Hey guys. I've been accepted to a Master Gardener program through Rutgers University. It starts this Feb. I've always wanted to do this and now I have the opportunity. Bucket list, baby! I'm so excited!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Energyvet said:
Hey guys. I've been accepted to a Master Gardener program through Rutgers University. It starts this Feb. I've always wanted to do this and now I have the opportunity. Bucket list, baby! I'm so excited!
Out of curiosity do they require you to be finger printed? They do for the Purdue program. The reason is at some point you might work with kids. I get it, but found it a bit ridiculous at the same time to be finger printed and background checked just to take gardening classes.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Energyvet said:
So jealous, one day I will get there too. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I had to be fingerprinted for vet license. I had to be fingerprinted for insurance license. No word yet on gardening. I don't think so.

I've been waiting 30 years to do this. I've always loved gardening. I had already given up on the idea and talked myself out of it a few times. Then on Dec 31st I decided what the hell and sent the application in by Fed Express. It needed to be received by Jan 2. Then I had to be selected from a pool of applicants. I didn't think they would pick me. My gardening has always been for me not public or in groups. I was so excited when I got the letter I got in. Now it's helping me look forward to things to come. My future and what I create for myself.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Have you started seedlings yet? I ordered seeds and started some onions and leeks last week. And today I started six different lettuces, kohlrabi, broccoli, and spinach to hopefully move out to a cold frame as soon as I dare. Usually I do it too early and kill everything but I can't help myself.

This year I'm building a coldframe right next to the house so hopefully it will borrow some heat on cold nights.
I have started some cool weather crops. Some for the greenhouse and some to be planted out. You will love the coldframe it will give you some nice veggies early on. (Congrats)

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I just moved my cold frame (that I got last year) into the basement. As soon as my son goes back to college this Sunday I'm going to start some lettuce. See how it does with grow lights in the basement.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Energyvet said:
I had to be fingerprinted for vet license. I had to be fingerprinted for insurance license. No word yet on gardening. I don't think so.

I've been waiting 30 years to do this. I've always loved gardening. I had already given up on the idea and talked myself out of it a few times. Then on Dec 31st I decided what the hell and sent the application in by Fed Express. It needed to be received by Jan 2. Then I had to be selected from a pool of applicants. I didn't think they would pick me. My gardening has always been for me not public or in groups. I was so excited when I got the letter I got in. Now it's helping me look forward to things to come. My future and what I create for myself.
Well congrats and enjoy! I decided to pass for now. I've been fingerprinted to teach and where I volunteer. Don't have a problem with that. You'll have to send updates so I know what I'm missing.:-D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been considering the master gardener program through u of Illinois but for now it it too much commitment. Yesterday I went to Restore and got everything I need for my coldframe. A patio door and two windows plus 4 hardwood cabinet doors for the front and back. Only fifteen bucks for all that :). I also bought 2x4s for the framing but that is going to wait. I set the windows in place hoping to thaw the ground so I can get to work. It's January - how nuts is this?!? Oh and I was thinking of making a solar powered geothermal unit underneath. Thought that would be a good project for the kids.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I just bought a box of grow lights for the basement. Maybe I'll have time to set up the cold frame this week end. I'm dying to start some lettuce and beats and spinach.

·
9 Posts
Energyvet, that is great, what fun!

It's too early for me to be starting anything yet. I usually start onions in flats around valentines day. Right now busy with garden layout on paper.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Thanks Red! I thought this week end but it may be Feb before I get anything accomplished. Big ideas but a tired body. :-/

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm a hot pepper farmer (hobby mostly), but I still take it seriously. Some super hot pepper varieties take up to six months before they start making peppers and are extremely finicky to keep alive. I'm in western Kentucky and we have a nice long growing season here, but still not long enough for super hot peppers. I start growing under lights around the first of the year. I start getting stuff together and germinating seeds while I'm off work for Christmas. I currently have around 450 baby pepper plants under lights in my basement and I'll move them out to the greenhouse in March. Then I start everything else. I start tomato plants for my family and in-laws to take and few other veggies that are slow starters. Most of our vegetables are direct planted in the ground since we have such a long season here. Each year I grow a little more than the year before and we can what we need and give a lot away. If all goes well this year, I'll start selling at our local farmers markets. I would love to do this for a living, but just not enough money in it so far. We have very mild winters here so in the fall I carpet bomb the garden with a variety of spinach, kale, lettuce, and shard as a cover crop and we have fresh greens during the winter months. The downside is it can get really hot and dry here in the summer and kill all the cool weather greens so we mainly get fresh lettuce and greens in the winter months. Chicken poop for fertilizer is the main reason I ended up with chickens. I did not want the hassle of taking care of chickens AND taking care the pepper garden, but the wife kept at bugging me about getting chickens. She finally got to me with the fertilizer....fresh eggs aren't a bad perk either.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fundabug - is it beneficial to start bell peppers early too? I was going to start them early april to plant out in late May. But if it would help them to have a few more months I would love to start them earlier.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fundabug - is it beneficial to start bell peppers early too? I was going to start them early april to plant out in late May. But if it would help them to have a few more months I would love to start them earlier.
I start all my peppers, sweet & hot at the same time. Bells & other sweets have a tendency to grow a little faster than the hots. All peppers are delicate skinny little plants at first, so my opinion is give them every advantage you can before you put them outside. I start out in small pods and cull out the weaker plants them move them to bigger peat pots until time to put them in the ground. I live on the edge of tornado alley and we get some absolutely ferocious spring storms and I like my plants to be nice and strong before they go out, but despite that, I always lose a few to the weather every year. However, I'm not a trained gardener in any way, but I know what works for me here in my climate, so it's really up to you. It doesn't hurt them in any way to start early, you just get peppers before everybody else.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Having greens in the winter must be marvelous. I'm really antsy to get my plants under grow lights in the basement. First year for me but I'm jazzing. I hadn't thought about peppers, but I'm thinking now. I usually do red and green peppers and maybe get a few at the end of the season. What you do makes much more sense. Thanks. Lets keep talking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Last season was horrible here. Way too hot and dry, but having nice healthy plants with good roots, I was still able have a deep freeze full of peppers and shelves of canned veggies. The early start is always worth the extra work in my opinion and I just like messing with my plants.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts