Chicken Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
Sorry I've been quiet this past week or so! A lot of the crop farms around here have started to harvest their fields and it's kicked my seasonal allergies into overdrive, so I've not been feeling too well. 😩

Here is a picture from a couple days ago of my silkied Partridge-looking Cochin hen, Abra. That's the feminine for Abraham, so it's pronounced "abe-rah," not like the abra-kadabra spell. ;) Anyway, her father is Roscoe and her mother is my oldest silkied Red hen, Donna, so I have no idea why she turned out this color and none of her siblings have. She was a very dark brown chick like any of the laced Partridge breeds look at hatch, which is why I suspect she is at least incomplete laced Partridge, though it's hard to tell for sure because of her silkied feathering.

View attachment 42642

She was getting ready to dust bathe and didn't trust me hovering over her with the camera. :ROFLMAO:

This is an older picture of Donna, since I don't have any of her posted here yet. She's a bit sketchy of people, so it's not the greatest shot.

View attachment 42643

Donna and Roscoe were among my very first silkied Cochins that I got about 5 years ago from a breeder in Chicago, who was selling out of them entirely. I got those two along with another Red pullet named Cordelia, who seemed to be an enduring failure to thrive chick and didn't make it in the end despite my efforts, and another Black cockerel named Gus, who also passed away suddenly of unknown causes a few months later. I loved Gus and his name so much that I named my current Gus (technically Gus II) after him. :giggle: I'd actually only picked Gus (original) because of a smooth Black Cochin bantam rooster that I'd had and adored even before that, and I didn't initially have any plans to actually breed these birds at the time, so I almost didn't even get Roscoe! She had so many extra cockerels at the time, though, that she was giving them away for free, and I'd purchased her last two pullets so I went ahead and took Roscoe as well to help her out. I'm SO glad I did because I love that little hairball! ❤

Anyway, that was more of a rambling post than I'd meant to make today, oops! :ROFLMAO: I guess I'll end it here at that!
One of the things they suggested with Silkies is to get them wet. Then you can see the patterning in the feathers.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,233 Posts
I want some bantams from hatcheries but everything takes so long to ship why is that?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
One of the things they suggested with Silkies is to get them wet. Then you can see the patterning in the feathers.
I'll have to give that a shot, if I can convince Abie to cooperate with the idea. :ROFLMAO:

I want some bantams from hatcheries but everything takes so long to ship why is that?
I'm guessing because most hatcheries are slowing down hatching by now and running out of chicks to sell, so you have to order in advance of receiving them. It would probably be easier to wait until the end of the year or early next year and order chicks for the spring.

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
I'll have to give that a shot, if I can convince Abie to cooperate with the idea. :ROFLMAO:

LOL, good luck with that. Although most chickens do like a good bath.

I'm guessing because most hatcheries are slowing down hatching by now and running out of chicks to sell, so you have to order in advance of receiving them. It would probably be easier to wait until the end of the year or early next year and order chicks for the spring.
Now it's getting dicey with it being warm enough to be shipping day old chicks. Weather might still be very warm where you are but chicks could be shipped from and through areas that are not warm enough to keep them alive.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Been a tough few days for me, starting with a cherished Lavender Orpington hen passing away toward the end of last week, and culminating at the loss of my beloved cat over the weekend. I might be quiet for a bit, as I'm having a very difficult time with these losses right now.

In the mean time, here is a terrible picture of some fuzzies (and a Barred Rock bantam cockerel) poking at some old shavings on their first exploration outside of their baby pen. Diesel stands out right in the middle of the group.

Automotive tire Grass Landscape Soil Bedrock

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,233 Posts
Been a tough few days for me, starting with a cherished Lavender Orpington hen passing away toward the end of last week, and culminating at the loss of my beloved cat over the weekend. I might be quiet for a bit, as I'm having a very difficult time with these losses right now.

In the mean time, here is a terrible picture of some fuzzies (and a Barred Rock bantam cockerel) poking at some old shavings on their first exploration outside of their baby pen. Diesel stands out right in the middle of the group.

View attachment 42762
Wow, beautiful! I'm very sorry to hear about your losses.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,233 Posts

View attachment 42762
Wow, beautiful! I'm very sorry to hear about your losses.

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts

View attachment 42762
Take whatever time you need. You know where we are. We've all suffered losses like yours and know first hand how hard it is.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Thank you all ❤ Thought I'd check in since it's been a while. When my Orpington girl, Rooska, passed on, I didn't think I could cry any more than I did, and then my precious kitty, Keiko, passed so abruptly that I was reeling for a long time. I spent a good week or so just numb to everything, between bouts of tears, and then it all hit me again earlier this week and I could hardly stop crying. I miss them both so much. Fortunately everyone's been healthy here since, and they've been keeping me busy for sure and giving me a reason to get out of bed and get moving every day. It's getting to be the time of year that I need to make preparations for the coming winter, so it's been a bit chaotic with birds being shuffled around, and as an added bonus that's served as a good distraction.

At the moment the youngster fuzzies are in the main flock to finish growing out. I need to assess combs on the pullets (once they grow more) to see who's best to pair with which rooster. Diesel is my Blue cockerel of choice for starting up my Blue pen. His comb is not great so far, but I love his color and want to try to produce a few more with that color, so he needs girls with really good combs to make up for his shortcomings. Meanwhile, Gus is a solid guy overall so any pullets with some weirdness with their combs should do fine with him. Priority in that pen will be to hatch from Dandelion with Gus first thing in the spring so I can determine if he's carrying recessive white. I don't know if I'm hoping he does or not. As much as I love Dandy, I'm just not big on pure White chickens and not sure if I want to dedicate the space toward a White pen or not. Dandy will always have a home here, but she may not end up producing many chicks, depending on how that test cross goes.

Anyway, that was just current thoughts rattling in my brain at the moment regarding the fuzzies. :giggle: If the rain ever stops again here, I'll get some updated pictures of the youngsters to share!

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
Welcome back. It's always a difficult place to be. Like you, I did find having to deal with those remaining actually helped in a big way. It forced me to live up to my responsibilities and not hide because of the pain.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,233 Posts
It's always hard having something pass, I know how you feel, my favorite cat died also awhile ago.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I can't seem to catch a break here lately, y'all. Now my little Dandelion fluff has a slight prolapse that doesn't seem to want to remedy itself. I could feel an egg coming when I pushed the protrusion back in this morning, so I'm really hoping she passes it fine and it doesn't make things any worse. :(

Welcome back. It's always a difficult place to be. Like you, I did find having to deal with those remaining actually helped in a big way. It forced me to live up to my responsibilities and not hide because of the pain.
For sure! I'm definitely grateful to my flock for keeping me moving!

Although I've been working on cleaning out and fixing up an old coop for use and I'm feeling pretty sore from that today, so maybe they've been keeping be going too much lately! o_O

It's always hard having something pass, I know how you feel, my favorite cat died also awhile ago.
Definitely! I'm sorry for your loss as well ❤

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
I already know you're keeping watch. I wonder if she's having trouble moving the egg along and that's causing the prolapse. You might have to supplement her for a while until she can get regulated again.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 · (Edited)
Yup, I have her in a pen in the office so I can check on her frequently. She passed the egg about an hour ago, seemingly without any issues doing so, so at least she isn't blocked. She is also pooping like normal somehow. I've been to the store now and gotten preparation H wipes to clean her up with and see if that helps. They didn't have calcium citrate for a fast-absorbing calcium supplement, but I already have some calcium carbonate so it'll have to do. On the positive side, she's still talking away like normal, eating, drinking, and she's still just as sassy as ever--she even pecked at me when I reached into her hospital pen to grab the egg!

Editing about an hour later, I just finished bathing Dandy's rear end, blow drying it on warm, and treating her prolapse with preparation H wipes and a few spritzes of Vetericyn for the little bit of pecking that had occurred before I realized there was an issue. Her prolapse was inside again and staying that way when I returned her to her pen for the night, knock on wood. 🙏

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
I think sometimes they make us fret just to get the extra attention.

Glad to read she's back to normal. So many times it does go that smoothly.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
She's prolapsed again this morning. :( Still talking to me and acting normal otherwise, though. Hopefully it's just a matter of being persistent about treating her. 🙏

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
It might be worth supplementing her to see if additional calcium and D3 will strengthen the muscles to stop this from happening.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Yup! She didn't want to eat the calcium carbonate tab pieces I gave her this morning, so I'm planning to just pop them in her beak the next time I have to clean her up and push her prolapse back in, if there is a next time. I didn't think of it before treating her this morning and I don't want her to be struggling against me opening her beak to give it to her and push herself back out if that makes sense? She is keeping her prolapse in for the time being, anyway, and I don't want to stress her and change that. I also have calcium citrate on the way in the mail because they didn't have it in store yesterday. I'll switch her to that, since it's faster absorbing, when it gets here, hopefully tomorrow at the latest.

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
Try Calciboost for goats. It's flavored with something, actually smells pretty good. She might even be willing to drink it out of a spoon. I know one of mine did.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts