Chicken Forum banner
41 - 60 of 337 Posts

·
Wonderful Friend
1,793 Posts
Here they are today, a rare moment when Crash came out of the pool to eat and Roscoe was distracted with the babies in the pen next door.

View attachment 42304

Not great pictures because of the fence, but here he is interacting with the babies. They are no relation to him and he's never seen them before today, but he was absolutely glued to that side of the pen! He kept poking his head through to look at them, showing them goodies, and letting them poke at his face. What a softie!

View attachment 42305 View attachment 42306 View attachment 42308
Awwwww I love it! My Tiny has done the same with a batch of Ameraucana chicks I hatched- he just adored them and let them peck all over him! Blew me away. And then Chip with his actual babies- he’s like a hen- he lets them ride on his back and is soooo patient w them too. Roosters can really be so amazing.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
A hand full of pictures from the junior fuzzies squad this week. They're about 3 months old now. 😊

Diesel 😍 😍 😍

This one's a little blurred from them moving, but it's the Blue boys, Hank and Diesel ❤

Washburne and her big eyes 😍

Bella with the over-the-shoulder pose 💕

Juniper ❤

One more of Wash. She's the smallest of the bunch, but she's so confident and poised. Look at that face! 😍

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Washburne? LOL Her looks are so far beyond her name.
Haha, yeah, her name is a bit of a story. :ROFLMAO: Her egg was messy so it needed to be washed before I set it in the incubator, so she's been known as "Wash" since before she hatched. It kinda morphed to Washburne over time because of a character in a show I like whose last name is Washburne and everyone calls him Wash. 😊

What are you all doing to keep the genetics watered down so there are no breeding issues?
My plan is to do spiral breeding with the silkied Cochins. I'm looking at keeping three distinct flocks of them; pullets hatched will stay in their flock, and the best cockerels will go on to replace the males in the next pen over in a spiral pattern. Only thing holding me back from that setup is the cost of building supplies right now, but I'm hoping by next year I can afford to get their coops built and set up, preferably in time to get a generation of breeding in before too late in the year.

I also intend to outcross to smooths occasionally where I see it needed. The nice thing about the silkieds is that they are genetically the same as their smooth-feathered counterparts other than their fuzzy feathers, so just getting some smooth Blues or Blacks in would do the job for an outcross. Breed the resultant silkie-split offspring back to silkied individuals, and the silkied feathering comes back. Neat thing about that plan is I could even get some genetically close color of smooths like Mottled or Lavender and potentially get silkied versions of those varieties eventually, too 😁

How many do you know of that have the "Fuzzies" as you call them?
I am aware of just two other farms who actively breed them, and two that have sadly gotten out of breeding them. That's why I get very excited when I see them mentioned like what prompted me joining here! :ROFLMAO:

·
Wonderful Friend
1,793 Posts
I’m super stoked that you’re here- please don’t leave without giving me some contact info if you don’t mind! I’m serious about wanting some fuzzy Cochins maybe next year or even year after- we all know how things can go. But I would be honored to add a few from your flocks when the time comes- they’re beautiful!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Oh, haha, well I don't plan to go anywhere! I actually kinda like it here. 😊 I'm part of another chicken forum and I like it there, too, but they have many thousands of people posting many thousands of times every day and it can trigger some anxiety for me, which leads to me not really posting much there outside of my own threads. I like the slower pace here, and that I feel like I can actually be helpful because there aren't literal hundreds of thousands of other people who are ready to post essentially exactly what I would at any given moment.

But yeah, sometimes things come up and who knows if I might fall out of activity for one reason or another, and plus it's relevant to a thread about fuzzies anyway, so I'll just post it here that I got my Blues and Blacks from Gopher Hill Farms on Facebook (not the animated Christmas lights page that comes up when you google that, but the other one). That page is run by Erin, who's a great person that loves her fuzzies, too, and loves to talk chicken as much as the rest of us do! :ROFLMAO:

The other farm I'm aware of is triplecreekfarm on ebay. I only recently discovered them (around the same time I joined here) so I haven't actually talked to them to know if they sell their hatching eggs directly or at all other than in ebay auctions, but they have good reviews on their hatching eggs so they seem trustworthy enough. 😊

And of course there's me, but like I said, I haven't gotten my breeder pens set up yet so obviously my ability to pass on any birds will hinge on how soon I can get that done. You know, unless you just want cockerels--I always seem to have plenty of those around! :ROFLMAO:

·
Wonderful Friend
1,793 Posts
Oh, haha, well I don't plan to go anywhere! I actually kinda like it here. I'm part of another chicken forum and I like it there, too, but they have many thousands of people posting many thousands of times every day and it can trigger some anxiety for me, which leads to me not really posting much there outside of my own threads. I like the slower pace here, and that I feel like I can actually be helpful because there aren't literal hundreds of thousands of other people who are ready to post essentially exactly what I would at any given moment.

But yeah, sometimes things come up and who knows if I might fall out of activity for one reason or another, and plus it's relevant to a thread about fuzzies anyway, so I'll just post it here that I got my Blues and Blacks from Gopher Hill Farms on Facebook (not the animated Christmas lights page that comes up when you google that, but the other one). That page is run by Erin, who's a great person that loves her fuzzies, too, and loves to talk chicken as much as the rest of us do! :ROFLMAO:

The other farm I'm aware of is triplecreekfarm on ebay. I only recently discovered them (around the same time I joined here) so I haven't actually talked to them to know if they sell their hatching eggs directly or at all other than in ebay auctions, but they have good reviews on their hatching eggs so they seem trustworthy enough.

And of course there's me, but like I said, I haven't gotten my breeder pens set up yet so obviously my ability to pass on any birds will hinge on how soon I can get that done. You know, unless you just want cockerels--I always seem to have plenty of those around! :ROFLMAO:
Wellllll oddly enough since I do have my Hensley already I would probably prefer a pair when the time came. But I think your timeline will work just fine for mine also. No rush for me in other words. At all. Lol.

I know what you mean about the busy forums and threads and chats- I’m just too old to keep up with all that now! If I ever could. Hahaha

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
The young fuzzy crew sitting with their 'little brothers', the English Orpington boys. Those Orps are a week younger than the silkied Cochins. 😲 I only had to separate them because the Orp boys kept stepping on the much smaller Cochins without noticing them in their path :ROFLMAO:

Bird Vertebrate Chicken Phasianidae Beak

Of course, as soon as I lean over the fence to take a picture of them, the fuzzies all come running! 😍 Washburne leading the charge, naturally.

Bird Galliformes Chicken Phasianidae Poultry

That face, though 😍

Bird Vertebrate Beak Galliformes Phasianidae

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Haha, funny thing is I have never given them treats or anything! They just want my attention, I guess. 😊

That, or they think the camera lens is food. They do peck at it quite a bit! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Sorry I've been quiet this past week or so! A lot of the crop farms around here have started to harvest their fields and it's kicked my seasonal allergies into overdrive, so I've not been feeling too well. 😩

Here is a picture from a couple days ago of my silkied Partridge-looking Cochin hen, Abra. That's the feminine for Abraham, so it's pronounced "abe-rah," not like the abra-kadabra spell. ;) Anyway, her father is Roscoe and her mother is my oldest silkied Red hen, Donna, so I have no idea why she turned out this color and none of her siblings have. She was a very dark brown chick like any of the laced Partridge breeds look at hatch, which is why I suspect she is at least incomplete laced Partridge, though it's hard to tell for sure because of her silkied feathering.

Organism Bird Terrestrial animal Poultry Beak

She was getting ready to dust bathe and didn't trust me hovering over her with the camera. :ROFLMAO:

This is an older picture of Donna, since I don't have any of her posted here yet. She's a bit sketchy of people, so it's not the greatest shot.

Bird Phasianidae Comb Chicken Beak

Donna and Roscoe were among my very first silkied Cochins that I got about 5 years ago from a breeder in Chicago, who was selling out of them entirely. I got those two along with another Red pullet named Cordelia, who seemed to be an enduring failure to thrive chick and didn't make it in the end despite my efforts, and another Black cockerel named Gus, who also passed away suddenly of unknown causes a few months later. I loved Gus and his name so much that I named my current Gus (technically Gus II) after him. :giggle: I'd actually only picked Gus (original) because of a smooth Black Cochin bantam rooster that I'd had and adored even before that, and I didn't initially have any plans to actually breed these birds at the time, so I almost didn't even get Roscoe! She had so many extra cockerels at the time, though, that she was giving them away for free, and I'd purchased her last two pullets so I went ahead and took Roscoe as well to help her out. I'm SO glad I did because I love that little hairball! ❤

Anyway, that was more of a rambling post than I'd meant to make today, oops! :ROFLMAO: I guess I'll end it here at that!

·
Wonderful Friend
1,793 Posts
You and I seem to do a lot of the same thing- more of a stream of thought post….

I’ve had my books on here some days too. Sorry I’ve been quiet too- sad to see summer ending already. Feels like I just got excited about it being here, and it almost doesn’t feel right bc even tho it got hot it never got even high 90s here this year which is unusual. So it doesn’t seem possible it’s over already. Idk

My Cochin has been a broody monster. Idk if you have IG but there are some hilarious videos of the broody poof. She was a mess but she’s finally pulling back out of it today. She was pretty stubborn about it! But I got her in the end.

Pancake brood!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Ahaha, exactly! Once that train of thought gets going, it's hard to slow it down! :ROFLMAO:

AAAAH, I love her! 😍 She seems very serious. Cochin bantams are the most wicked little broodies, I swear! Donna and her other daughter, Rowena, were broody for like 3 months over the summer, with just a week and a half of a break right in the middle. 😩 I didn't think they'd ever fully quit!!

I don't have IG, but the more it's mentioned to me the more I consider signing up! :giggle: Maybe I'll look into that again.

I definitely agree on summer ending. We had a super wet summer here, rain almost solidly from mid-May all the way through early July, and then the mosquitoes were so bad that you couldn't even go out and enjoy the weather once it stopped raining. So I guess we didn't really have much of a summer here, either! I do love fall, but I dread winter every year. 😬 I suppose a few frosts would be nice to knock down the mosquitoes a bit, though!

41 - 60 of 337 Posts