Chicken Forum banner
401 - 410 of 410 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #402 ·
I'm pretty limited in what I have at the moment for breeding females, just the four pullets and 7 adult hens (that's not including Dandelion), so it is a relief to know I won't have to cut one of the pullets out of my already pretty small selection. :giggle:

I understand, I did, too. I was so excited for Gus finally to have some babies! We'll try again in the spring and hopefully it'll go better. 🙏 He was among the first to hatch in my foray into breeding these guys, so I'd really love for him to leave a legacy behind in my flock.

·
Administrator
24,964 Posts
I kept quite a few with faults during the years I was breeding Silkies. But don't ask me now how well it turned out. It must have been OK since I rarely sold any of those birds.

It was when I wasn't paying attention anymore that I knew it was time to get out. I just did not have enough time and energy leftover to keep up with them.

Yeah, well you just learned one of my weaknesses. Sometimes I just had to keep that one because (fill in the reason here).

Vertebrate Mammal Carnivore Terrestrial animal Liver

Here's one. Her name was Dwarf. Ugliest little Silkie but packed with personality. She didn't grow a tail until she was five.

·
Registered
54 Posts
OK, I don't agree with you about Ottilie. Unless Cochins are way different foot feathering is a lot easier to fix than type. And she's got type all day long. I would put her with a boy that has the foot feathering you're looking for.

I'm not crazy about Zeke's wing set. It looks weaker when compared to the other boys.

I'm disappointed all of Gus' boys are going but I understand the need to let them go. What's the decision on the Chocolate?
They all so gorgeous, hard to decide lol.🥰

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #405 ·
Hey, folks! Checking in again, sorry for the absence! I've just been busy with other things, and at one point had the flu as well, so that slowed me down for two weeks. 😬 It's been a whirlwind of a month, can't believe we're already almost half way through November!! I just wanted to make sure I kept you all updated with the fuzzy babies. :giggle: Did I have them all named the last time I posted? I don't remember, but they're all named now. I've sold off my extra boys finally (to someone in Michigan who sounded like she wants to breed them, too!!), so we're down to just the keeper birds again until hatching starts next year.

Anyway, here's Trix at 7 months old:

Bird Chicken Beak Galliformes Comb

And the younger birds at 5 months old:

Dean, previously Black 1:
Bird Phasianidae Comb Chicken Galliformes

Boba, previously Black 3:
Bird Phasianidae Galliformes Beak Feather

Zeke, previously Blue 1:
Bird Phasianidae Comb Chicken Beak

Inara, previously Blue 2:
Bird Beak Phasianidae Galliformes Comb

Wyatt, previously Blue 3:
Bird Phasianidae Comb Chicken Galliformes

Athena, previously Blue 4 (she's a tough one to get a good picture of because she really wants me to hold her all the time 🥰 )
Bird Phasianidae Galliformes Beak Poultry

Levi, previously Blue 5:
Bird Comb Phasianidae Chicken Beak

Ottilie, previously Blue 6:
Bird Chicken Phasianidae Galliformes Beak

Now I have a million alerts to catch up on--apologies to those who've been waiting on me!
Grey Wood Font Electric blue Midnight

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #406 ·
Oh, I forgot! I also took pictures of Gus and his girls the other day! It'd been entirely too long since I'd taken good pictures of them (since they were under a year old, actually!), and they're just finishing their molts now so in as good of shape as they'll ever be.

The man himself, Gus:

Bird Chicken Comb Galliformes Phasianidae

Myrtle:

Bird Phasianidae Comb Beak Chicken

Zinnia:

Bird Beak Chicken Liver Phasianidae

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #408 ·
Trixie is a good looking little lady! She's the sassiest little squirt in the flock right now, though! Don't pet her without permission or you'll get a pinch! :ROFLMAO:

I'm still going back and forth between Wyatt and Zeke, but Zeke was my initial choice... Man, it's tough to choose! With the extra boys gone, the coop they'll be living in is empty now, so I've just got to clean it out and maybe cut another window or two in there (it's kinda dark in that coop as-is), and whichever cockerel I decide on and the pullets can move out there together. They have another month before that minimum 6-month age I read about for really choosing, so I'm trying to be patient about it. Emphasis on trying. :LOL:

I certainly hope I have better luck with Gus's group next year! I'll be trying to integrate Boba into that group, so maybe a younger girl in the mix will help with that. 🙏

·
Administrator
24,964 Posts
I can see why you're struggling between the two of them. I went back and forth trying to decide why I chose Zeke.

They say pay attention to what pleases the eye for symmetry. I think with Zeke it's that little peak of his back for me. But it's a pic. It's not seeing them moving around and being birds.

And I'm a year person. I get the six month wait for really close calls. I had one Silkie boy ugly as sin. I kept him because he was so ugly he was fun to watch. He hit a year old and that ugly boy just went poof. Doing side by side pics you wouldn't know it was the same bird.

Trixie knows she's special and she's making sure you're aware of it.

BTW, I adopted an older dumped Chi-mix and named her Trixie. Your Trixie has her beat in the looks department.

·
Super Moderator
4,402 Posts
Get a handful of the older APA standards, it seems like I have them from the beginning of time. Also some of the European standards make for interesting reading and offer a lot of history and context for specfic breeds. Check Ebay and sites like Bookfinder to build your library. And while the standards don't change much, things do evolve, albeit slowly. Look at the trends in South America and Asia.

401 - 410 of 410 Posts