Chicken Forum banner
381 - 391 of 391 Posts

·
Administrator
24,681 Posts
The chocolate coloring is stunning. I think that's the first time I really got to see it.

I keep scrolling back and forth on which ones I like but that's not fair because not all of them are posing where they're type really shows. Although I can't resist saying Blue 3 is top of my list.

And chocolate 1. But the blacks are not really posing well enough for me to choose. Although Gus's 1 looks very interesting.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Checking in real quick with the babies this afternoon! They're about 3 months old now.

View attachment 45308 View attachment 45310 View attachment 45309

The lighting was all over the place for the Blues, so their colors look a bit off in these pictures, but they're the best I could do. Really loving how some of these boys are filling out... It really is too bad I can only keep so many of them. 😩
If you lived near me, I would take 1-2.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 ·
The chocolate coloring is stunning. I think that's the first time I really got to see it.

I keep scrolling back and forth on which ones I like but that's not fair because not all of them are posing where they're type really shows. Although I can't resist saying Blue 3 is top of my list.

And chocolate 1. But the blacks are not really posing well enough for me to choose. Although Gus's 1 looks very interesting.
The chocolates are beautiful. I hope I'm able to hatch plenty of silkied Chocolates next year to work with! :love:

Yeah, it's tough to get them to pose. The boys especially are in that phase where they want to be big tough guys and fight off the scary box that keeps flashing light at them when I'm taking their pictures. :ROFLMAO: At least they're not like Mal, the little OEGB boy I have who actually jumps feet-first at the camera lens with his hackles all flared if I get too close while trying to take his pictures! He's a bit of a butthead, but at least it's only toward the camera and not toward me!

Black 1, Black G1, Chocolate 1, and the three Blue boys are all shaping up really nicely when seen in person, at least in my opinion. I can honestly say the only thing I'm seeing in any of them so far is minor comb things that a couple of them have that I don't like as much as the others. Blue 3, I've been calling him Wyatt. I'm torn between him and Blue 1 (still unnamed) again for my breeder male for the Blue pen, as they're both good looking dudes. :love: I was so confident it would be Blue 1 based on how they looked a month ago, but I guess it goes to show you shouldn't settle on your picks too soon as you never know who's going to have an ugly duckling story! Either way I decide to go, both are certainly sticking around so that I have a backup Blue just in case. Someone on another site suggested I should hatch some from both of them just to see what they both produce, so maybe I'll just do that.

If you lived near me, I would take 1-2.
Well, if you're ever in northeast Indiana, let me know! I usually have a few extra cockerels hanging around anyway. :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
24,681 Posts
Well, evidently some of those looks are showing through in their pics since we seem to agree for the most part.

It goes to show what I mentioned about Silkies. I had a couple that no way no how was I keeping them but no one wanted to buy them either. About a year and half later you couldn't tell they were the same birds that were so ugly.

Giggled about Mal. That has to be a shocker when he launches and you're looking to take the shot and not at him.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #389 ·
They are beautiful little birds! I've had an unfortunate string of hawk attacks over the past couple years resulting in most of my females being killed off, so I've had to shelve breeding them for the time being. I want to focus on the silkied Cochins for now anyway. But I do want to work with the OEGBs again, some day in the future when I'm able to build more secure housing for them. They're one of my absolute favorite breeds, along with the Cochins :love:

381 - 391 of 391 Posts