Chicken Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Chick Lover
1,580 Posts
That's a lot of Silkies! Wow!! They are pretty cute as babies, I agree. You can see their faces at that age, though, so I guess they don't bother me as much. :ROFLMAO:

I think the most chicks I had at a time was 22 or somewhere in that vicinity, back on 2017. Carrying that many birds back and forth every single day from their brooder to their daytime pen and vice versa was exhausting! o_O And I got a whopping 5 pullets to show for it that year, so I guess my luck with cockerels hasn't changed much! :ROFLMAO:
Haha! I know it really looks weird seeing so many chicks staring into the camera!
I'm just not so sure how many she had, I would have to ask her.

Yep, I feel like cockerels are at such a high rate when you don't sex them. So let's say you got 25 unsexed chicks from a hatchery, you'd probably get 20 cockerels and only 5 pullets so weird..
Someone I work for has lots of chickens. She always has broody hens and whenever I go over to her house their are always new chicks, they have a lot of roosters.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I've had decent luck with straight run and hatched chicks, just every now and then I have a bad year for it like this year. Usually it's about 50-50. Sometimes I get more pullets than cockerels, usually when I've planned for having fewer pullets out of a batch of chicks. :ROFLMAO:

·
Wonderful Friend
1,711 Posts
Fuzzies! Those are such fabulous chickens. How adorable are they?? Yes, definitely something I’d love to add into mine in the future! We love our poofs even without being silkied- they’re hilarious. Our girl has the nickname puppy chicken- which she even answers to now. Ha!

I just love them- they’re all beautiful.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Haha, thanks much! They are precious, silkied or not ❤ Every time you talk about your poof girl, I just smile. She sounds so sweet! 😊

·
Administrator
21,760 Posts
He looks like a thug! I mean he really does. I can just imagine him making his rounds keeping everyone in line.

That's a lovely chestnut color. Is chestnut right? That's a red.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Haha, he definitely has his tough-guy reputation and a face to match it! He's a big softie, though. Wish I had more pictures of him with his young sons over the years. He's so gentle with his kids, right up until they start getting feisty with him and then all bets are off. :ROFLMAO:

Chestnut sounds about right! He is a Red, though a bit patchy at the moment because, like everyone else around here, he's gone into molt.

·
Administrator
21,760 Posts
I've been out of chickens for a while now. How common are the red Cochins? I don't remember them being around ten years ago.

Well, you've got a good reason to keep him around even if you don't care for his color. Birds that are attentive to the young are pretty valuable to me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I know a lot of hatcheries have Reds. Not sure how common they are with breeders, though. I feel like I see a lot more of the Blues, Blacks, and Partridges at shows, but I'm also a lot more fond of those colors so it could be that I just don't notice the Reds as much. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, he's a solid little rooster. ❤ He's living with my one and only Call Duck at the moment because her parents died and I really didn't want to get any more ducks to keep her company.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
LOL That's quite a pic in my head. Big ol' floofy rooster with a teeny duck.
They are quite the odd couple! :ROFLMAO: Actually, they don't really seem to care much for each other and usually spend their time doing their own thing (her in her swimming pool, him digging in the dirt, etc.), but Crash (the duck) is quiet now with him in there instead of calling all day every day looking for me or other ducks.

What a beautiful rooster!
Roscoe says thank you! 😊

·
Administrator
21,760 Posts
The odd couple.

But something is going on there that has them OK with their partnership if the cries have stopped.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Here they are today, a rare moment when Crash came out of the pool to eat and Roscoe was distracted with the babies in the pen next door.

Not great pictures because of the fence, but here he is interacting with the babies. They are no relation to him and he's never seen them before today, but he was absolutely glued to that side of the pen! He kept poking his head through to look at them, showing them goodies, and letting them poke at his face. What a softie! ❤

·
Administrator
21,760 Posts
Sometimes roosters are just the best. I know mine used to do that. When peeps got close to eyes I'd be all tightened up worried they'd get an eye.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Right? Fortunately, they lost interest in poking at his face long before they got to his eyes!

·
Administrator
21,760 Posts
What fascinates me is that they don't even move when they're being poked. It's got to hurt, doesn't it? I mean like little tiny needles poking at tender skin. That hurts me just thinking about it.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts