Chicken Forum banner
361 - 380 of 392 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #362 ·
I've just been added to a wait list for silkied Chocolate Cochin bantam hatching eggs for next year!! I had no idea this farm already had them silkied and that saves me a couple generations of breeding right off the bat!
Gas Electric blue Circle Font Logo
I'm so excited!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #364 · (Edited)
One I knew of with BBS silkieds, I just didn't know they had already done the work to breed in Chocolate to the silkieds like I wanted to do as well! It is one that I came across earlier this year, though, not one that I've mentioned before on this thread I don't think. Fluff-n-Stuff Farm in Alabama. 😁 They're the ones I was going to get more smooth Chocolates from to see how their birds looked for foot feathering and such compared to the Triple Creek Chocolates I got. I may end up getting more from Fluff-n-Stuff at some point, too, depending on how well they ship their eggs, because they also have silkied Mottled in a few colors. :love: But, I don't want to spread myself too thin with all these varieties, so I'm trying to resist the temptation and only getting the Chocolates for now to focus on BBS and Chocolates. I figure Chocolate is not even in the standard for smooth Cochins yet, so it'll just be a pet project on the side because I love me some Chocolates. :giggle:

·
Administrator
24,682 Posts
Too bad Hazel Green is so far north. They might have let me have a looksee of their critters.

I don't know how I feel about the mottled Cochin. That's one of those that might have to grow on me. And I like black and white birds. The chocolates are amazing!

But splitting back to splash? How does that work? Or is it more about being a work in progress and getting the characteristics of the Cochin to more predominate?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've just been added to a wait list for silkied Chocolate Cochin bantam hatching eggs for next year!! I had no idea this farm already had them silkied and that saves me a couple generations of breeding right off the bat! View attachment 45253 I'm so excited!!
So sad though, my favorite black silkie choked on something today, flopped around and hit his head on a tree, i thinkit broke his neck, and he died...😪
I've just been added to a wait list for silkied Chocolate Cochin bantam hatching eggs for next year!! I had no idea this farm already had them silkied and that saves me a couple generations of breeding right off the bat! View attachment 45253 I'm so excited!!
My favorite black skie choked on something today, he flopped around and hit his head on the tree, i think it broke his neck, and he died.😭

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #368 ·
But splitting back to splash? How does that work? Or is it more about being a work in progress and getting the characteristics of the Cochin to more predominate?
I'm not sure what you're referring to with splitting back to splash?

So sad though, my favorite black silkie choked on something today, flopped around and hit his head on a tree, i thinkit broke his neck, and he died...😪

My favorite black skie choked on something today, he flopped around and hit his head on the tree, i think it broke his neck, and he died.😭
I'd like a chocolate silkie slso!
So sorry to hear about your Silkie! ❤ Fluff-n-Stuff does have Chocolate Silkies listed in their breeds as well as the silkied Cochins, maybe you should get some hatching eggs from them, too. ;)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #370 ·
I didn't see what you're referring to, but did they maybe say split to Mottled? Mottling is a recessive gene that can be split to.

Or maybe the bird being referred to was Mauve? Mauve is the effect of both sexlinked Chocolate and Blue at the same time, so breeding Chocolate to Splash would be one way of making the variety.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #372 ·
Most (maybe all?) Chocolate Cochins came from breeding Chocolate Orpington bantams to Black Cochin bantams and then breeding back to the Cochins for type. I believe Fluff-n-Stuff's Cochins had the same origin as they also have some issues with white skin instead of yellow as Cochins should have. The birds I've seen from them have nice type and foot feathering, though, so hopefully that's a good sign for the type on the birds I hatch from them. 🙏 Anyway, from there it's only a matter of a couple generations breeding to the silkied Cochins to introduce the silkied gene and produce silkied Chocolates. I then skip those couple of generations by getting already silkied Chocolates, so I only have to worry about selecting type and proper skin color from then on. 😁

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #374 ·
I went out with the calipers to measure the boys' legs and get an idea of what size proper leg bands I would need for them in the future, and Washburne was veeery interested in my phone as I took pictures of each measurement to remember them. :ROFLMAO:

Bird Phasianidae Chicken Comb Organism

I find that the zip ties, while useful for switching out and adjusting for size when they're young and still growing, wear out pretty quickly and fall off, so I'm thinking of going for the spiral leg bands in multiple colors as those seem more durable. Thinking I'll do a system where one color tells me which pen a bird originated from and another what year they were born in so that I can tell at a glance. I'm still figuring out the details, but it seems like a usable system. I looked at numbered bands as well, but it seemed simpler to do a two-color system than to try and figure out numbers.

·
Administrator
24,682 Posts
What do you have? Give me.

I never did come up with a good banding system that I could keep track of. I ended up numbering my pens to also help keep track.

If you use the slightly thicker zip ties they should last. I didn't cut Head Tuck's off until she was 12 or 13. It was stupid for it to be on there since I knew who she was and there was no danger of her going anywhere.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #376 ·
Good to know on the zip ties!

I think I've figured out the colors I need to remember the pens at least; green for Gus's pen since his baby band was green, red for the corner coop with Pete since that coop is all red, and blue for the third group since they're my Blues. I thought brown for the Chocolates initially, but then I realized that unlike blue for the Blues, brown will actually blend in and be kinda hard to see on the Chocolates, so maybe something like white to stand out more? It's the years that are puzzling me a bit, but I figure I'll at least know who all's the same age so that I don't accidentally retire someone too early or something.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #380 ·
Checking in real quick with the babies this afternoon! They're about 3 months old now.

Bird Vertebrate Light Nature Beak
Bird Photograph Vertebrate Light Nature
Bird Photograph Vertebrate Light Nature

The lighting was all over the place for the Blues, so their colors look a bit off in these pictures, but they're the best I could do. Really loving how some of these boys are filling out... It really is too bad I can only keep so many of them. 😩

361 - 380 of 392 Posts