Chicken Forum banner
341 - 360 of 392 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #346 ·
Gus is gorgeous!🥰
Aww, thank you! He's a favorite around here, too. :giggle: Poor boy's molting right now, though, and covered in pins.

And I want to know what you think of Gwyneth. The white naked neck bird. I actually have come to decide she's quite charming. Poor thing.
Heehee, she's quite something, isn't she? ❤ Such a busy little thing.

Head Bird Eye Beak Waterfowl

I like odd looking!:D
I'm the same way! 😁 I love so many chicken breeds that most people consider ugly or weird-looking and am not as fond of many of the more popular breeds like Polish.

I draw the line at Dong Tao, though, those are too weird even for me. 😬

Good, then if Pip (fuzzies) ever turns loose of her she has two homes to go to. I've got first rights.
Sorry, no can do, I like her too much. 😁 I've got to try to hatch some of her eggs next year and get more of these little weirdos running around here. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #348 ·
Yes, I just haven't decided who to pair her with. I should be able to tell her eggs from the Cochin's eggs, so my temptation is to put her with the silkied Cochins when I move Trixie in with them as well. Naked neck Cochins, anyone? :ROFLMAO:

They didn't reference them, those are just where I draw the line at too odd for my tastes. :giggle:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Aww, thank you! He's a favorite around here, too. :giggle: Poor boy's molting right now, though, and covered in pins.

Heehee, she's quite something, isn't she? ❤ Such a busy little thing.

View attachment 45163

I'm the same way! 😁 I love so many chicken breeds that most people consider ugly or weird-looking and am not as fond of many of the more popular breeds like Polish.

I draw the line at Dong Tao, though, those are too weird even for me. 😬

Sorry, no can do, I like her too much. 😁 I've got to try to hatch some of her eggs next year and get more of these little weirdos running around here. :ROFLMAO:
Awh, I want to rub her soft neck.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #354 ·
I've never dug into what it takes to breed NN's. Is is just one parent carrying the gene that produces them?

That was you that brought up the Dong Tao! It's really strange. Until I spotted one on the forum somewhere I never knew they existed. Now i've seen them several times and had people mention them. Is it a sign?
Naked neck is a partially dominant gene. In Gwenyth's case, she has one copy of the gene, which is why she has that little clump of feathers on the front of her neck. Two copies makes them completely bare on the front of the neck. So breeding Gwenny to a fully feathered male would make 50% naked neck with the feather tuft on the neck and 50% fully feathered offspring. I'd have to get a naked neck male in order to make fully naked neck chicks from her.

I think a couple random websites posted articles about Dong Tao not that long ago, so they've come into the public eye a bit more. That's probably why you keep seeing them mentioned!

The Dong Tao though looks like their legs are swollen from infection or elephantitis disease. Ewh...🤢
They do! I also noticed in the few videos I've seen of them that they seem to walk on those legs like they're kind of tender, so it seems like a pretty sad existence to me. 😟

It is one weird looking bird. Where I'd cuddle Gwyneth, I'd give a Dong Tao a wide berth.
Haha, aww! ❤ Gwenny's more of a shoulder sitter than a cuddler, but I agree as well.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #358 ·
If you want all of the chicks to have some level of naked neck, bowtie or full, then yes, one parent has to be fully naked neck, carrying two copies (N/N). This is heading into alphabet soup territory, but I'll try to explain as clearly as I can.

You know that each gene is in a pair, and out of each pair, one comes from the mother and one from the father. The gene for naked neck is not sexlinked and so is inherited equally in both sexes and from both parents.
If both parents are carrying two copies (N/N), either can only pass on N so all of their offspring will be fully naked necked (N/N).
Full naked neck (N/N) to bowtie naked neck (N/n+) makes equal amounts of full (N/N) and bowtie (N/n+) naked necks because the fully naked neck parent can only pass on N and the bowtie parent passes on equal amounts of N and n+ genes.
Full naked neck (N/N) to fully feathered neck (n+/n+) then makes all bowtie naked necks (N/n+) because the fully naked neck parent can only pass on N and the fully feathered parent can only pass on n+.

If neither parent is full naked neck, then at least some portion of the offspring will have fully feathered necks. This is because in that scenario either parent has a chance of passing on an n+ gene, and part of their offspring therefore will inherit an n+ from both parents.

I don't know how much this will help, but try thinking of it like breeding Blues, where fully naked neck is the equivalent of Splash and bowtie is the equivalent of Blue.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #360 ·
Yes, n+/n+ is fully feathered. N/n+ would be bowtie, and N/N fully naked neck. The gene is partially dominant, meaning it has a partial effect when one copy is present (leaving the little tuft of feathers on the front of the neck for bowties) and a full effect with two copies (removing that tuft of feathers).

Something about genetics is just really fascinating, or at least to me it is. 😁 Even varieties I have no intention of owning, I take an interest in the genetic components that make them. I can understand still being interested even if you're out of breeding these birds!

341 - 360 of 392 Posts