Chicken Forum banner
281 - 300 of 337 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Are you one those that goes for the negative and hoping to be pleasantly surprised later?

I had one group of whites that if the peeps hatched out grey, I knew they were males. For some reason the double silver gene only showed up in the boys.

Who would be more apt to pass down the lighter blue color? The male or the female? Or does it matter which is the lighter shade?

I sure don't see the comb with chocolate baby 2 from the side like I can on the other two.
Haha, not intentionally, but that's usually how it works out! :ROFLMAO:

Genetically, I don't think it matters whether the lighter Blue is a male or a female for the purposes of passing that trait on. I do think a male would be more beneficial overall, however. A male would be passing those genes to all the chicks produced from the flock he leads, whereas a hen would only be passing it through her own eggs and the other hens' eggs from that flock would not have any means of receiving those genes. That's my point of view on it anyway. I can be selective and try to hatch only from the lighter Blue if she is a pullet, but that does limit how many I can hatch to the number she lays in a given time versus the number that a few hens would lay in the same amount of time.

That said, if she is a male, that only leaves me with three silkieds that I'm sure are female and not many left beyond that that could also end up as females, so that would be a bit unfortunate. 😅 Three females would be enough to make a flock with him, I suppose, but ideally I'd like enough that I can be a bit more choosy about who goes into the breeding program and who doesn't. A couple extra pullets to add to Gus's flock would be nice as well.

I do hope that Choco 2 is a girl, if only because that will give me one less cockerel to worry about. She'd go into my mixed flock, not any of the breeding flocks, though.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
Haha, well I'll always have her around and could always separate her away from the main flock roosters for a couple weeks if I wanted to hatch more Chocolate Cochins. I hadn't planned on maintaining a breeding pair or flock of them, though. Just hatched them for fun, and the possibilities with breeding them into the silkieds. 😁

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
Aw, haha, if we lived closer to one another I'd fix you up with all sorts of Cochin bantam beauties! :ROFLMAO: Only if you actually wanted them, of course! ;)

I feel the same way about ducks, honestly. I'm tempted sometimes by some breeds and their beauty, not to mention there are silkied ducks as well! But I don't want to get back into ducks. I did not really enjoy having them, though. I do still have my one call duck, but once she's gone I'm out of ducks, at least for a long, long time.

·
Administrator
24,189 Posts
When the quail and Guineas die out I'll be done completely. I've got another year at least before the quail start dying off. The Guineas are a whole different thing.

And I have been tempted more than once but stuck to my guns about no more chickens. At least not in the long term. I would get chicks for one hen that kept going broody so she could raise them, then I gave them away to a friend.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 · (Edited)
I braved the mosquito swarms to go out and take pictures of the babies today, about 6 weeks old. They are spending days outside now, so not as pretty of a backdrop for their pictures, but I didn't want to haul them all inside and then haul them back out just for pictures. :ROFLMAO: I meant to take a picture of Trixie, the pullet from Easter, as well, but by the time I got through all 15 babies, she was dust bathing, and I'd already been chewed up so bad by the mosquitoes that trying to get her to cooperate would have just been too much. 😬 I'll have to grab a picture of her another time.

For now, here are the 6-week-olds! Very excited for how some of them are developing! It's hard to tell with the Blues in pictures, but Blue 3 is a decently lighter Blue color compared to 1,2,5, and 6, which I'm happy about. Blue 4 is still the most beautiful baby to me and just keeps getting prettier. :love: The mixed color baby is also a nice shade of Blue, though unfortunately with that brown on his chick down I can't be sure that he won't throw weird genes into his offspring, so he still won't be a keeper for it. Such a shame. :confused: Hopefully he starts showing leakage soon so I won't feel so bad for putting him solidly on the not-a-keeper list.

Bird Photograph Vertebrate Green Nature

Vertebrate Black Mammal Organism Grey
Bird Photograph Vertebrate Black Beak

I'm feeling more and more confident that Black 3, Blues 2, 4, and 6, and Chocolate 2 are girls and the rest of them are all boys. 😩 Oh, well. Including the two pullets from Easter, I got 7 pullets and 10 cockerels from this year's hatch, so not too bad overall.

·
Administrator
24,189 Posts
Blue 4 is a girl? Never mind, I just reread what you said.

Did you lose one of Gus's peeps? I only see two and they both look like boys.

I'm not liking the chocolates. The mixed baby is more typey than they are. But they're young. They do still have filling out to do but compared to the rest?

Have to ask, don't you use DEET? I got bit by chiggers earlier and learned my lesson. Now I spray down.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
Yeah, I think Blue 4 is a girl. She's the only one that I've really been going back and forth on, but I feel like she's a pullet at this point. The ones I'm sure are boys have larger combs and are getting attitudes, both of which she's lacking.

There were only 2 Gus babies. :) I tried to look at them optimistically with the hopes that there was a pullet there, but yeah, they're both boys. They take after their dad, a bit slower to get their combs in compared to the other boys.

Yeah, agree on the Chocolates, I've been thinking that for a couple weeks now. They're also HUGE compared to the silkied Cochins, or at least the two Chocolate boys are. They have lovely type... for Orpington bantams. :confused: But I knew that was a possibility given that they have Orpington in them. If I do cross them into the silkieds, they will be kept as a separate line until I'm sure that any type issues have been addressed, especially with foot feathering. I do have a line on another farm with the Chocolates as well, so maybe I'll look into getting a batch from them next year and see if they have any better type.

I don't have any DEET. The mosquitoes have been remarkably bad this year compared to usual, so I usually don't need to bother with repellents or anything. Might have to invest in some this year, though. They are so bad out here right now!

·
Administrator
24,189 Posts
Does it make you feel better that me, who depends on you for sexing, thinks it's a girl too?

Chocolate 1 doesn't look like it has either breed in there anywhere. Although it could be the way it's standing in the pic too.

I don't why I thought there were three of his.

You know I'll be following your process as you keep growing your flock. I'm really intrigued by them. Which isn't a good thing because the "I want" is rearing its ugly head.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
Haha, maybe a bit! I really was torn as to whether I wanted her to be a pullet or cockerel, but I'm happy with her either way. :giggle:

Chocolate 1 is a very slooooow featherer, which is probably why he looks off. He's built like Chocolate 3 in person, just not as feathered in. He is slightly smaller, though, which makes me like him a bit more. Chocolate 3 just towers over the rest of the chicks. I'll try to grab a shot of him mixed in the crowd today, it's pretty funny to see. :ROFLMAO:

Ah, man, I definitely know the 'want' feeling. Any time I see a pretty chicken, I get that feeling. Have to keep reminding myself that I don't really have the space for more birds if I seriously want to work on these silkied Cochins. I can't grow out chicks if I fill all my space up with other pretties. It really is too bad coops cost so much money to make! 😩 But I understand that your situation is different in that you don't want to have chickens at all anymore. Hold strong! I'll keep posting pictures and updates so you can watch my birds grow up and fill out instead. ❤

·
Administrator
24,189 Posts
Trixie! I totally forgot to mention her. I didn't forget her though. You hadn't said anything about her in a while so I'm relieved to know she's growing and doing well.

I just did a deeper look at Chocolate 1. Is that his feathers I'm seeing on his back or is that from another one hiding behind him? I didn't even notice those before and would explain to me why he looked weird.

I forgot you wanted Blue 4 to be a boy. Sorry about that. But the other blue, 3, looks to be a boy. So it looks like you have one of each. Maybe. :D

I have been told to stay out of the heat. LOL I live in S AL. Heat you say? Anyway, bad heart. Even if it wasn't bad hot I can't do stuff like shoveling out the coop. I guess that's like shoveling snow.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
Haha, yeah, Trixie's in the big flock at the moment with her yet-to-be-named naked neck buddy. She's doing great, just harder to get pictures of now because she's got a lot of space to roam and all the other chickens want to see what I'm doing so they get in the way. :ROFLMAO:

Chocolate 1 has downy feathers on his back that are showing through because his proper feathers haven't come in yet over top of them. So yeah, it does make him look super weird. :ROFLMAO: He's not the first chick I've had feather in like this. They look so odd for the longest time, and then suddenly they're feathered in and look like any other chicken and you'd never know they were such an oddball as a baby.

Blue 3 is a boy, yes. I have 3 boys and 3 girls in Blue in this group (not including the mixed color baby), but Blues 1, 2, 6, and to an extent 5 are all that super dark shade of Blue that I hope to breed away from. :confused: A real shame because just look at Blue 1, he's so round and fluffy already!

Oh, yeah, sounds like good reason not to give into 'I want'. So sorry you have to go through that! We don't get much super high heat here, but cleaning coops and moving birds around sure is a workout, so I understand the caution.

·
Administrator
24,189 Posts
No name yet for NN?

Yep, that's what it was. I did see the down at all or looked past it which made him look nothing like a nice round Cochin.

It is what it is. I got out of my Silkies before I knew this was going on. I recognized that the constant care was dragging me down which was probably because my heart was unhappy. Now I find workarounds for the things I'm not supposed to do. Luckily the Guineas and quail are easy keepers. Once they die out that will be the end of it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
Not yet. I started to call her Daphne, but it didn't seem to fit her just right, so I'm still looking. It's got to be perfect for such an awe-inspiring bird. :ROFLMAO:

I could see that! No, he's definitely built similarly to the other two, just not feathered in as much. His brother gave me a bit of a startle about an hour ago by trying to find his big boy voice. I thought something had gotten into their pen and was attacking them or something, but nope, just Choco baby 3 sitting proudly on their little baby perch crowing his little heart out. :ROFLMAO: Little stinker!

Glad you figured out what was dragging you down, at least. And that your Guineas and quail are easy for you to take care of! The Guineas always gave me a hard time, but I think it's because I tried to keep them like the chickens and they're just not that kind of bird. I won't be replacing them now that they've all gone. Same with the duck once she goes, as I've said before. I'm just a chicken person, I guess!

·
Administrator
24,189 Posts
I don't know why I like that little fart. Maybe it's the pics you take of her. She just looks so adorable.

I remember that first time for me. Just like you I thought something had gotten into my birds. That strangled, garbled sound is attention getting. Just wait, C3 will be crowing like he's been doing it all his life. I think you might need some ear protection pretty soon with all those new little guys finding their voices.

I always warned those that were getting Guineas after having chickens that they were not the same and they had to be able to adjust how they were cared for. Mine are trained, probably better than my chickens ever were. They will come when I call but they also know there's more than likely a treat waiting for them. Trying to micro manage them is a losing battle. Losing for the human, that is.

·
Super Moderator
4,297 Posts
Guineas are akin to herding cats, noisy cats.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #298 ·
Here's Trixie today, a little over 14 weeks old ❤

Bird Beak Feather Terrestrial animal Galliformes
Bird Beak Galliformes Feather Phasianidae
Beak Terrestrial animal Feather Marsupial Tail

And our little naked neck bantam, just for you, Robin. :ROFLMAO: She looks more and more like a turkey every time I see her, I swear.

Bird Beak Feather Galliformes Waterfowl

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #300 ·
Aww, nothing to feel bad about! She looks silly, but I promise she does everything the same as the other chickens and doesn't know she's any different. :giggle:

Yes, their wings are mostly solid at the base of the feather and then they fray more and more up to the tip. I'll see if I can get one of them to cooperate for a wing picture some time to show what they look like. Silkied breeds with distinct tail feathers like Seramas tend to have the same sort of semi-solid feathers in their tails as well. Cochins don't really have tails whether silkied or not, of course, so their butts are all fuzz either way. :ROFLMAO:

281 - 300 of 337 Posts