Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Administrator
24,189 Posts
It's really involved getting them accepted into the standard. It might be easier to get them in then it is new varieties. The only way to know is for someone to join the Cochin club and introduce them.

I didn't show mine either. I didn't want to put them through that stress.

He really is stunning even when he's not fully suited out. I can see where they could become a really popular new bird to possess.

·
Administrator
24,189 Posts
I haven't. I'll have to talk to the lady at the farm I got my Blues and Blacks from to see if she has. She works with large fowl Cochins as well, so she may just be part of the club! She and I both think silkied Cochin bantams are wonderful, to the extent that we've discussed that we both kinda just want to keep them and no smooth bantams, but I have had experience with Cochin bantam enthusiasts finding the silkied varieties ugly. A complete shock to me! 😩 I, personally, am not a fan of frizzled Cochins and find them much less practical, yet they're super popular and my precious fuzzies are left in the dark! Oh, well! 🤷‍♀️ I'd love to see them become just as popular as frizzles some day. 😍 They're just so precious to me ❤

I've not bred any of the Blues and Blacks yet, though judging from the hatch rates I've gotten from the other farm's eggs, they don't seem to have any issues! My Reds had some fertility issues the last time I tried to hatch them, but it's hard to say if it was just their age at that point or something genetic. Previous hatches were pretty normal for fertility. I'm not overly fond of that particular family of colors in chickens, so I keep the Reds as pets to live out their lives, but I don't intend to continue with breeding them, other than maybe the occasional hatch just for fun. 😊

Haha, yup! I mean, their feathers are not technically the same as chick down, but they're similar in appearance and texture, and the birds are quite adorable for it! 😍
There are those that think Silkies are the ugliest things going so I'm not surprised there are those that don't like them.

Well bred Cochins of any type are always fantastic to look at.

·
Administrator
24,189 Posts
I'm glad you stuck around even though it wasn't quite what you thought it was. I may not have chickens anymore but I am still fascinated by new.

It does sound easier to keep the genetics healthy with them than I originally thought. I'd really like to see them recognized by the APA.

·
Administrator
24,189 Posts
Sorry I've been quiet this past week or so! A lot of the crop farms around here have started to harvest their fields and it's kicked my seasonal allergies into overdrive, so I've not been feeling too well. 😩

Here is a picture from a couple days ago of my silkied Partridge-looking Cochin hen, Abra. That's the feminine for Abraham, so it's pronounced "abe-rah," not like the abra-kadabra spell. ;) Anyway, her father is Roscoe and her mother is my oldest silkied Red hen, Donna, so I have no idea why she turned out this color and none of her siblings have. She was a very dark brown chick like any of the laced Partridge breeds look at hatch, which is why I suspect she is at least incomplete laced Partridge, though it's hard to tell for sure because of her silkied feathering.

View attachment 42642

She was getting ready to dust bathe and didn't trust me hovering over her with the camera. :ROFLMAO:

This is an older picture of Donna, since I don't have any of her posted here yet. She's a bit sketchy of people, so it's not the greatest shot.

View attachment 42643

Donna and Roscoe were among my very first silkied Cochins that I got about 5 years ago from a breeder in Chicago, who was selling out of them entirely. I got those two along with another Red pullet named Cordelia, who seemed to be an enduring failure to thrive chick and didn't make it in the end despite my efforts, and another Black cockerel named Gus, who also passed away suddenly of unknown causes a few months later. I loved Gus and his name so much that I named my current Gus (technically Gus II) after him. :giggle: I'd actually only picked Gus (original) because of a smooth Black Cochin bantam rooster that I'd had and adored even before that, and I didn't initially have any plans to actually breed these birds at the time, so I almost didn't even get Roscoe! She had so many extra cockerels at the time, though, that she was giving them away for free, and I'd purchased her last two pullets so I went ahead and took Roscoe as well to help her out. I'm SO glad I did because I love that little hairball! ❤

Anyway, that was more of a rambling post than I'd meant to make today, oops! :ROFLMAO: I guess I'll end it here at that!
One of the things they suggested with Silkies is to get them wet. Then you can see the patterning in the feathers.

·
Administrator
24,189 Posts
I'll have to give that a shot, if I can convince Abie to cooperate with the idea. :ROFLMAO:

LOL, good luck with that. Although most chickens do like a good bath.

I'm guessing because most hatcheries are slowing down hatching by now and running out of chicks to sell, so you have to order in advance of receiving them. It would probably be easier to wait until the end of the year or early next year and order chicks for the spring.
Now it's getting dicey with it being warm enough to be shipping day old chicks. Weather might still be very warm where you are but chicks could be shipped from and through areas that are not warm enough to keep them alive.

·
Administrator
24,189 Posts
Been a tough few days for me, starting with a cherished Lavender Orpington hen passing away toward the end of last week, and culminating at the loss of my beloved cat over the weekend. I might be quiet for a bit, as I'm having a very difficult time with these losses right now.

In the mean time, here is a terrible picture of some fuzzies (and a Barred Rock bantam cockerel) poking at some old shavings on their first exploration outside of their baby pen. Diesel stands out right in the middle of the group.

View attachment 42762
Take whatever time you need. You know where we are. We've all suffered losses like yours and know first hand how hard it is.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts