Chicken Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just kidding!
But truly, my husband rescues animals all the time thanks to his job; look what he got to get rescued over the weekend; they are extremely rare in this region at all, only one mating pair they know of with various offspring of theirs around. So this lady (best guess is lady at least) hurt her wing, and a raptor rehab and release program picked her up etc.

Now before anyone mentions it, yes he had and should have had on gloves. However, he was concerned about the broken wing and not being able to feel it when he grabbed her and possibly make anything worse. So yes he took a big chance here but really cool shot.

The falcon is my high school mascot, for the town HS, so it was a little extra special here where I live. They didn’t believe my Eagle Scout hubbs when he was calling to tell them what he had, til the pic finally went through and the guy said in 30 years he’s only ever seen 2- this being the second.

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
I totally understand why no gloves. I've shed mine when it came to handling an injured bird just so I could feel that things weren't going wrong.

More and more I've been reading how we're seeing birds in parts of the country where they are not normally seen. It's possible there is a falconer somewhere near. Nope, I went back and looked, there's no leg bands so that is not a bird that's ever had human intervention.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, she had to be caught via net and then he slid his hands under to get around her. Hubbs said she was really good for it. Thankfully where he found her was back behind a warehouse- where ‘his’ guinea fowl used to roost- so there weren’t a bunch of ppl crowding around anywhere at all. Pretty much no traffic close either so it was ideal. I guess the qualities she was enjoying about it were the same as hubbs!
So very very cool. Honestly we have always talked about getting into falconry, if we ever have the land and means to do so the way we would want to.

They’re native to here, and def supposed to be here, but they are on the.... the list just before ‘endangered.’ Oh shoot. Between their shyness, swiftness, smartness, and humans oblivion, they are rarely spotted healthy, and finding one when injured is- lucky to say the least. Def a good deed and worth it. I don’t mind saving the falcons, we have enough hawks though! jk. I would try to help one too. Or have someone else try to have someone help to....

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
Same here, I have to try to get them help even if they are a threat to my domestic birds.

Will they let you know how she does? Or once you relinquish her to the rehabbers that's all you'll ever know?

·
Super Moderator
3,263 Posts
Just kidding!
But truly, my husband rescues animals all the time thanks to his job; look what he got to get rescued over the weekend; they are extremely rare in this region at all, only one mating pair they know of with various offspring of theirs around. So this lady (best guess is lady at least) hurt her wing, and a raptor rehab and release program picked her up etc.

Now before anyone mentions it, yes he had and should have had on gloves. However, he was concerned about the broken wing and not being able to feel it when he grabbed her and possibly make anything worse. So yes he took a big chance here but really cool shot.

The falcon is my high school mascot, for the town HS, so it was a little extra special here where I live. They didn’t believe my Eagle Scout hubbs when he was calling to tell them what he had, til the pic finally went through and the guy said in 30 years he’s only ever seen 2- this being the second.

Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You bet! We thought it was really neat, since they are so few anymore.

The people hubbs contacted have an excellent reputation, and they do the minimal human contact rehab stuff, using gloves/puppets for the young etc. that sorta thing anyway. She should fare well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts