From the experts...i need diet help please :)

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by jessicamerrick, Jan 27, 2013.

1. jessicamerrick

jessicamerrick New Member

I found my girl Madeline unable to walk, she was out of her head and there was slimy green poo. We brought her in, bathed her and gave her a good blow drying. On the kitchen table I applied olive oil to her vent while she ate raisins, just in case she was egg bound. While she isn't laying now due to short kentucky days, I'm worried it is a diet thing. She eats crumbles and snacks in morning and at night. Any suggestions? Help is much appreciated.

2. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Is she drinking anything? I would give her some electrolytes, or gatorade. Any other symptoms? Has she been eating ok? Does she make any noise, like a rattle in her chest, or raspy breathing? Does her breath stink? Are her eyes and nose clear? Sorry for all the questions, but it will help!

3. jessicamerrick

She eats well, no wheezy noises, is drinking but when getting a bath tried drinking the water. I'm thinking its a lack of grit, as I live in a subdivision and she has to be caged. I placed oyster shell in her feeding area tonight. I do appreciate the help very much, she's my girl!

4. jessicamerrick

Oh, and eyes...it was like she had taken Valium, out of sorts and halfway shut. After the bath more alert.

5. Bluerooster

Bluerooster New Member

What about eye color? And pupil dilation? Is the iris the same color as allways? and are the pupils small, or large, and how do they react to light?

6. jessicamerrick

Her eyes were fine. I brought her in and bathed her, applied olive oil to her vent in case she was bound. She snacked on the kitchen table with us on bread,grapes and raisins. She died two days later. Obviously I was heart broken and sobbed like a baby. She was my first, and talked to me so much. My remaining girls in a separate coop luckily are healthy.

7. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

So sorry for your loss. Wish I could help you figure out what went wrong.

8. realsis

realsis New Member

I'm so sorry for your loss!

9. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Awww, so sorry. Hugs to you!

10. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I'm sooo sorry Jessica. =' [ I feel your heart break. Many hugs my friend.

11. Circle_U_Farm

Circle_U_Farm Member

I feel for you too. It sucks to lose a bird. Especially a favorite. I would, however, give a more balanced diet. Too many treats are not good for them. Its like a child. They would live off of candy if you let them. I do give scratch every day. But it is very little. And it is made up of corn, boss, barley, oats, and wheat. Just a handful in the evening when I get home to each pen. Their diet consists of 95% layer mash. Always keep the feeder full. A little bit of treats goes a long way with chickens in my opinion. I have 50+ birds and give out less than a quart of scratch a day. Now your bird's death could have been caused by anything. I am not saying it was your feed. Just an observation in general.

12. Circle_U_Farm

Circle_U_Farm Member

13. jessicamerrick

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the kind words and advice. :)