Chicken Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Through some kind of snafu, this spring, at a postal distribution center along the shipment route, I ended up with a Freedon Ranger chick in my shipment box of ducklings. He's now a full grown rooster, and get's a little winded if you have to chase him for a minute to catch him, but otherwise seems healthy enough.

But I have no idea how long he'll live, and I was kind of curious if anyone had kept Freedom Rangers, hens or roosters, for long past when they're usually culled? I've only found one person that kept some hens (if I remember right) that were, at the time of their post, a few years old.

He's a good enough rooster and I'm not in a huge hurry to see him go, so can anyone share their longterm experience with this breed? Especially when it comes to lifespan and health issues?

Many thanks in advance!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Being a rooster he has a better chance of living longer than hens. Five years is about the average for hatchery hens of any breed. Roosters, since they don't face reproduction issues, can live quite a bit longer.

I like that you let him hang out with you even though you didn't expect him.
Honestly, he humbled my drake and that's rent for life😂

1 - 4 of 4 Posts