Chicken Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Only under supervision of one of us and the german outside to watch over them. Would have lost our sweet Sophie last fall to the neighbor's dog getting lose and chasing her down if we hadn't been outside. She came running straight to us just a sqwaking. Bless her heart. We'd be too heart broke if something got one of our girls so if we can't be nearby and have the dog out, they stay in their fenced in roofed in run where they're safe. Ours are for pets though so we keep pretty close tabs on them. Not worth risking losing one to one of the many hawks, owls, or eagles we have here.

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
Mine are free range, but in a fenced area. It's about 1/16 to 1/8 of an acre all put together, but many only see the fence as something to fly over. It's an old fence and I will be replacing large chunks of it this year. I have a busy road out front and one chicken still knows there is something over there and so she has to be fenced or she will lead the whole flock into the road.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Mine free range, unsuprvised, and unfenced. I do not feed commercial feed during the late spring thru early fall, since they have plenty of food free ranging.

pic is last Spring

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ours free range also, we let them out in a morning let them do there own thing all day then put them in the perch area at night, we very rarely get hens that don't go in but we always search the garden on a night for them
Anyway

·
977 Posts
I am with Apyl. Ours free range all day unsupervised . Hoping our rooster will keep the in check. Our silkies are the only ones that don't roam free . They have their own little fenced in area.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Our hens free range from mid morning until they go in at night. By leaving them in until later in the morning the eggs end up in the nest box rather than the barn, woods, garage, grass, etc.

The layers are big enough that hawks don't bother them and they are in before the raccoons and others are active.

Our bantys stay in chicken tractors that move to fresh ground each day. They would get carried off otherwise.

We do have to fence the garden both for deer and chickens.

·
chicken bum
136 Posts
7chicks said:
only under supervision of one of us and the german outside to watch over them. Would have lost our sweet sophie last fall to the neighbor's dog getting lose and chasing her down if we hadn't been outside. She came running straight to us just a sqwaking. Bless her heart. We'd be too heart broke if something got one of our girls so if we can't be nearby and have the dog out, they stay in their fenced in roofed in run where they're safe. Ours are for pets though so we keep pretty close tabs on them. Not worth risking losing one to one of the many hawks, owls, or eagles we have here.
mom!!! Helpppp!!!

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Yes and no. There is one group, a rooster and 5 hens, that are free range. This group helps keep the lawn bugs down and cleans and fertilizes the garden in the fall. Another group, again a rooster and 5 hens, that are contained in a fenced and roofed run. This group is our main egg suppliers. Then there is another group of 4 roosters from last summers hatching that have their own space. That's dinner. :D

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
We couldn't. There are too many dogs in the area to allow my own pets in my own yard the run of their own yard. :mad: If I was outside, I let them out with me, and they flocked around then, but just for an hour or so. Cryin' shame you can't enjoy what you have because the neighbor freaks think it is cruel to fence in a chicken eating dog. When the barn burned, I had no where to keep them, and I gave them all away. sigh.:(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts