Free Range Chickens

Discussion in 'Announcements and Support' started by Chick Shack, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Chick Shack

Chick Shack New Member

Hello! I am new to chickens this year. My first batch was a barnyard mix where I ended up with 4 roosters, 2 hens now 18 weeks. Sad that I only ended up with 2 layers, but I'm learning with chickens, that's the way it goes. I ordered 9 more from a hatchery and they are currently 3 weeks. I live in a wooded area with HEAVY wild game activity. We've had bear, coyote, fisher, coons, fox, and everything else in between caught on our yard cam. My question... I want to free range but I'm sooo scared to lose my 2 hens that should be ready to lay anytime. Does anyone have any suggestions to help ease my mind or should I just forget the notion of free range and keep them in their run?

Poultry Judge likes this.
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

If you've got that much predator activity that close to where they're going to be hanging out it's best to build them a huge run and keep them up. I would also suggest putting hot wire around the coop and run to help bear proof them.

3. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

4. Chick Shack

Chick Shack New Member

Thanks for the input. I'm glad I listened to my fears. I'll keep my little ladies tucked away in their run. Right now I have a 8x30 run with hardware cloth all around, top, sides, and 2 feet out into the yard on the bottom. I close them up in the coop every night just in case. I never thought I'd love a chicken..but I DO!!

5. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

LOL We hear that a lot. They are addictive.

Don't forget the hotwire. Bear will tear into a coop if given the chance.

6. danathome

danathome Well-Known Member

X 2.