Chicken Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please keep your eye out fox are out and about. We have not seen any thus year . I thought maybe our guinea hens have kept them at bay till today. I let our chickens free range when we are home. Today I lost 2 adult Silkies. My Oscar and Louise . I heard the commotion but was to late. The fox wasn't even afraid of me. I shot at him but didn't kill him. Please watch your birds

·
Registered
250 Posts
kaufranc said:
Please keep your eye out fox are out and about. We have not seen any thus year . I thought maybe our guinea hens have kept them at bay till today. I let our chickens free range when we are home. Today I lost 2 adult Silkies. My Oscar and Louise . I heard the commotion but was to late. The fox wasn't even afraid of me. I shot at him but didn't kill him. Please watch your birds
May I ask where you live?

·
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in New Hampshire. The fox must have been watching and waiting. I was only inside for a minute. My Silkies are very friendly and mellow compared to my other breeds of chickens. The fox had an easy target.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I think it was a fox that got my silkie last week as well. We have seen a lot of them lately. I'm in mass.

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
This time of year they have babies to feed. I wrote my story about the babies that let me get about 8-ish feet from them while they were hunting a bunny. I posted some photos aways back. Cute little things, but very smart.

·
Registered
250 Posts
kaufranc said:
I live in New Hampshire. The fox must have been watching and waiting. I was only inside for a minute. My Silkies are very friendly and mellow compared to my other breeds of chickens. The fox had an easy target.
Hm, I live in California and no one has seen any foxes. The only thing we have to worry about are raccoons. And they are big here! We have spent the last couple days trying to "raccoon proof" our coop. And it's been hard, those little suckers have opposable thumbs so it's like trying to keep a human out. And there smart! We might just trap and release them somewhere far.

·
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We only release dead things here. If its messing with my animals , it's gotta go. My boyfriend and I will have our guns on our sides when we are out doing yard work or chores now. I knew the time was coming for the foxes to be feeding their young. They are beautiful creatures but not with one of my chickens in their mouths!

·
Registered
250 Posts
kaufranc said:
We only release dead things here. If its messing with my animals , it's gotta go. My boyfriend and I will have our guns on our sides when we are out doing yard work or chores now. I knew the time was coming for the foxes to be feeding their young. They are beautiful creatures but not with one of my chickens in their mouths!
Oh I agree! I would have my gun with me and shoot the animal too. But sadly we live in a stupid subdivision so we are not allowed to shoot. It sucks. So our only solution is to catch and release :p

·
Registered
159 Posts
Reinerchick said:
Oh I agree! I would have my gun with me and shoot the animal too. But sadly we live in a stupid subdivision so we are not allowed to shoot. It sucks. So our only solution is to catch and release :p
You could learn to use a sling shot or what they call a wrist rocket. They are quiet but can be deadly. Get one and practice. They are pretty easy to use.

·
Registered
250 Posts
camel934 said:
You could learn to use a sling shot or what they call a wrist rocket. They are quiet but can be deadly. Get one and practice. They are pretty easy to use.
Ooo that's a good idea! Never thought of that! Where can you buy one??

·
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well we have not had another fox issue till today. The guineas were making a huge racket up in the field by our coop. They free range with our ducks and chickens. Went up to check it out and they had a fox on the run! We managed to get a clear shot and take it down! I was so amazed at how the guineas acted! Have seen them take on a wild turkey but not a fox! I kinda like the guinea hens now! (I didn't care for them before, they are very annoying!)

image-256760727.jpg

This is the fox. Small and kinda shaggy looking!
Glad he is dead.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts