Fox attack

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Cleo, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Cleo

Cleo New Member

I got my first 3 chickens on Sunday, they are ex commercial chickens, and I bought a new wooden hutch that claimed to be “fox proof”. I read up on fox proofing and followed instructions to use chickenwire to prevent the fox burying into the run.

The first night was fine. The next day we got 4 eggs!!! Then last night I woke at 3 am and then heard a faint noise from the chickens. I ran downstairs and as I opened the back door I saw the back of a fox with its front inside the coop, it had opened the “fox proof” latch. I clapped my hands and it ran. Amazingly all 3 chickens were still alive, 2 in the coop that seem unharmed and 1 that got itself behind our waterbut.

I brought all the chickens into a box in the house for the rest of the night. Unfortunately the chicken that was outside looks like he was bitten and seems to have shock, he’s really sleepy.

Ive ordered 5 extra latches, motion sensor spray & ultrasound, and I’m planning to keep the chickens in my house overnight until it arrives. And I’ve reinforced all the chickenwire. But, my question is, now the foxes know they are here will they just keep coming back every night and terrorising the chickens, especially given that they found them so quickly? Or might they give up if they find the coop too secure for them?

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

They can hear and smell them. They will give up when it becomes too difficult to gain entrance.

A pic of your hutch will give us a better idea on how to help you make things more secure for them.

I use a hot wire for mine besides being behind welded wire and chain link. It might be something to consider if you're going to provide them with at outdoor run because the fox or other predators could come back if they are out free ranging.

Do a good check of the one that is down right now. Check for puncture wounds over areas that are very dark in color. We might be able to get you girl back on her feet again.

BTW, welcome to the addicting world of chicken keeping.

Slippy and Poultry Judge like this.

3. Cleo

Cleo New Member

Thanks for the response. Definitely addictive! I’m meant to be working from home, but not managing much time at my desk!

She does have a dark cut on her Back, and she does seem to be a tiny bit better now than earlier today. I have her in a box with sugary water. I hope she pulls through.

This is my hutch, with emergency repairs, I have a small garden with a high fence.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  4. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Darn, did the forum keep you from posting the pic?

You can dissolve a 325 mg aspirin in a gallon of water to relieve her pain.

Did you also give her feed? She's going to need the energy to heal so eating is important. If she doesn't want to eat mix some in some warm water to make a mash. Very often that help get them eating.

I just read that fox can climb trees so I don't think the fence is going to stop them from going over or digging under.

Slippy and Poultry Judge like this.
  5. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Keep us posted, folks are very helpful on this forum. Foxes are tough and smart predators.

6. Biring

Biring Active Member

3E72ABD5-7B2A-49DC-8EE8-CDFC9FA5F76D.jpeg This is how I kept my chickens safe from foxes. They would try to get in at all times of day and night but were never successful. They never stopped trying though.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2020
    Ckerr and Poultry Judge like this.
  7. Longcrow

Longcrow New Member

Be aware that foxes are known to come in the middle of the day too so keep a watch.

Poultry Judge likes this.