Chicken Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found about 50 ducks eggs in a secluded spot. I only have 2 ducks and didn't know they were laying... so some the eggs may be 25 days old? None of them floated.... a few bounced a little on the bottom of the sink. I do not plan on eating them but 25 days outside in 70-80 degree daytime weather? I've always sort of trusted the sink or float method of testing an egg but this makes me suspect of the test. Any thoughts?

Is it OK to feed them cooked to chickens?

·
Administrator
20,615 Posts
Do you have a drake? If so, those eggs are probably fertile. If there is any chance they began to develop and then the embryo died, no chance would I even open them.

Another test is to candle. Look for the air cell, if its small or almost non existent then that is the freshest eggs. That said, I still would toss them.

·
Registered
647 Posts
its ok to feed chickens cooked eggs .. i feed mine scrambled eggs .. maybe crack your eggs outside just in case you may have a rotten one

·
Registered
134 Posts
The float test isn't effective unless the egg is REALLY gone bad. Like previously stated, you can candle them. The larger the air cell is, the older it is. You can also see if any are firtile and growing.

But I'm just repeating what's already been said...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My mother always said, "When in doubt, throw it out!" And that's what I did. There is only one duck... he lives with a goose so I'm pretty sure there were no fertile eggs! And so much for the floating test... I thought about opening and cooking them for the chickens but the thought of dealing with a stinky rotten egg... I always think of Templeton, the rat from Charlotte's Web, who ill advisedly took possesion of an old egg that eventually exploded, incurring the wrath of all the other animals in the barnyard who had to endure the smell! My 3 goats and 2 lambs might forgive me but the goose who definitely hold a grudge since he believes he is in charge of everything! But now I know the secret location of the egg laying and am on top of it. Thanks all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts