Chicken Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ducks just started laying eggs. Hurray! I noticed one of the 3 (my Blue Sweedish) had something up with one of her eyes this morning. After googling discovered it's foamy eye. So I rinsed her eyes and have treated her today with Vet Rx 3 times (mixed 1 t with 1/2 cup warm water and used that to wipe her eyes, nostrels and top of her head) and at bedtime (same treatment plus a couple full strength drops in mouth and under wings) I noticed it looks much better...no foam and less irritated. The one thing I haven't seen is how long to treat. Anybody know? I'm going to at least treat her throughout the day tomorrow (everybody gets some on their heads at night) and re-evaluate. She's been active, eating and drinking, no signs of respritory issues. (I'm trying to think of what else you're going to ask. Lol) They also got an extra source of water to dunk their heads in today...I cheated and gave them peas to bob for. 馃ぃ

Administrator
I'm not a duck person. @Poultry Judge might have some thoughts for you.

I do not recommend using Vetrx in the eyes of anything. It contains camphor and is not formulated for the delicacy of the eye. Saline is the only thing you should be rinsing the eye with to keep the balance correct. Using the other you could dry the eye.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This might be the first sign of a serious disease like chronic respiratory disease or infectious coryza. Would Vet Rx 3 be enough?
After 5 days or so I switched to Apple cider vinegar in a bucket of water and Terramycin 2 x daily in the eye. Been doing that for 3 days. It's clearing up nicely. No foam at all last night. Will continue a couple more days at least. The other eye never foamed so I'm thinking it's maybe some sort of an eye injury. Her vision seems fine. There's never been a sign of anything respritory with this. No cough, wheezing, nasal drainage, open mouth breathing, nothing. She's acted herself the whole time. The other 2 ducks have clear eyes, no issues.

Registered
After 5 days or so I switched to Apple cider vinegar in a bucket of water and Terramycin 2 x daily in the eye. Been doing that for 3 days. It's clearing up nicely. No foam at all last night. Will continue a couple more days at least. The other eye never foamed so I'm thinking it's maybe some sort of an eye injury. Her vision seems fine. There's never been a sign of anything respritory with this. No cough, wheezing, nasal drainage, open mouth breathing, nothing. She's acted herself the whole time. The other 2 ducks have clear eyes, no issues.
I'm happy to hear that. My experience with Coryza and CRD was very bad.

Registered
@TheChickenGuy nothing much can be done for either of those diseases in chickens. And 90% of the time it's not the fault of the owner. I'm not sure that ducks are susceptible to it. I supposed I could go digging for the information.
I raised mine commercially. So with antibiotics and multivits, I was able to minimize deaths. One thing I learnt from it was never to allow wet droppings to pile up. Keeping the pen dry with fans goes a long way in minimizing cost due to drugs.
Yes, I've once read somewhere that ducks are hardy. And they are carriers of some diseases that affect chickens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts