Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out what breeds I want in our coop and start doing my homework - especially in terms of coop size, LOL.

So I have one EE and will be getting two Orpington pullets.

I also want to get an olive egger, and then maybe another EE and a RIR - but thought I'd like to add in another solid layer and am now thinking I'd like to add in an australorp ... thoughts?

I'm thinking with the larger birds, I want to think of them as being two chickens size-wise when planning roosts, nest boxes, and coop support as they are supposed to be heavy birds.

Anything else I should consider? I'm thinking of having a coop that is set up to hold 10-12 birds, but only have like around 5 or 6 in the flock.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Size sounds good , just make sure you leave yourself extra space so you can add more chickens later ;)

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
You'll like the australorp breed if you decide to add that one. They're a very nice addition. Friendly, docile, intelligent, and really pretty! Just watch out for those pretty brown eyes! They're as bad as puppy eyes! One look and ya, I'm mush. Whatever you want Lilah, its yours. :eek: The gray one with Lilah in pic is 1/2 australorp & 1/2 white leghorn.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like everything I've been reading about australorps ... just worried about making sure I build a coop large enough to house those bigger birds lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
I started with 4 and I'm already up to 6. I think I'd have more if my coop was bigger. I have 1 Australorp, she is sweet.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Haha my husband is starting to understand chicken math. He told me I could only have 6. Today he said "oh well we have room for 10!" Haha yay!

·
Registered
513 Posts
GenFoe said:
Haha my husband is starting to understand chicken math. He told me I could only have 6. Today he said "oh well we have room for 10!" Haha yay!
Lol I bet you were pleased

·
Registered
764 Posts
I am! We are getting barred rocks and now I can get some gold and blue laced wyandottes to add!! So excited. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is awesome!!! Yeah I know me and I know that I will want room to add on someday - even if it is only temporary or something. I don't know, it just seemed better to build for 10-12 and try to max out at around 6ish. lol.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Haha breeds aren't working threat we planned. We picked up 4 dark brahmas and 2 silkies tonight. Hah! Still want barred rocks though.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Chicken math. I've had 14 different chickens. What I wanted to start with were buff orps. I might have 1. Not yet convinced as she came from Agway (mc Murray's). She may be a banty frizzle for all I know. She's very small for a buff orp. But maybe....

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Now I've got 9 eggs under a broody Silkie and 14 shipping at the end of the month. I'm going to be rolling in chicks about 3 weeks from now. What am I thinking?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Energyvet said:
Now I've got 9 eggs under a broody Silkie and 14 shipping at the end of the month. I'm going to be rolling in chicks about 3 weeks from now. What am I thinking?
You are thinking, yeeee-hawwwww, lots of chicks to cuddle with!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts