FLOWERS

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by lover of birds, Aug 20, 2019.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Just wait, HC, most of mine bloom in the Winter because of the cooler night time temps. The only one I really have bloom in the Summer is my Vanda which is hanging outside blooming as I type.

2. Hencackle

Hencackle Member

I like the one Dh got me that was short enough to fit under the kitchen cabinets. It liked the LED strip lights there. Sadly, I killed the pretty plant when I repotted it. And I followed the instructions in an orchid book I bought. I’m an orchid killer I suppose.

3. robin416

What potting medium did you use? Because it's really hard to kill an Orchid by repotting.

4. lover of birds

lover of birds Active Member

Here are some of my Lisianthus. I think it's interesting how the buds of the dark blue/purple look as if they're going to bloom as a white flower.
    DSCN6149.JPG DSCN6168.JPG DSCN6165.JPG

5. robin416

You must have a lovely yard.

Are the Lisianthus attaching themselves to the mesh or do you have to tie them up? Are you saying the ones that look white in the last pic will turn purple in time?

6. Hencackle

Hencackle Member

"Special Orchid Potting Mix" by Better-Gro. Sold by a local greenhouse that is overpriced, IMO. Nice things there, but still more than my budget allows.

Those Lisianthus are so gorgeous. If I could reach through the screen and snip one....well, I'd ask first.:rolleyes:

7. robin416

LOL I wouldn't. They would be too hard to resist.

Well, I guess I would need to see the plant to have any clue what went wrong. Orchids get sick slowly so sometimes they're in big trouble by the time we notice it.

I "killed" my oldest one a couple of years ago. I couldn't make myself throw it out and now I'm glad I didn't. One day I spotted a green spot, now it's back and may bloom this Winter. What I did wrong was take them outside and instead of watering them like I should, I used the hose. Turns out getting the crowns wet is a no no.

8. lover of birds

I have to tie them to the mesh. I mean the buds are the same color whether they're a purple flower or a white flower, unlike a rose that the bud color is close to what the bloom is.

I'm trying to get a lovely yard, despite the geese who pull up newly planted flowers and put them in the pond, chickens always digging wherever I'm working and not working, and weeds quickly overgrowing.

9. lover of birds

Here's a closer image. all of the buds are the same color, but some belong to the white flowered plant and some belong to the purple flowered plant. I just think it's interesting.
    DSCN6164.JPG

10. Hencackle

Hencackle Member

I have a mole problem here that I didn't have at my other house. I gave up having flower beds. There will be more exterior work done to the house next year or so. What I did to prevent the chickens from scratching up my flower beds I used to have: lay chicken netting on the ground, on top of your mulch and anchor with rocks. The black netting isn't visible from the distance. That might not work for your geese antics. Probably about the same as my turkeys poking around in the flower pots. I'm spraying the turkeys with a hose pipe as I shoo them to the back yard.

11. robin416

Sorry, I had to giggle at the birds antics. It's just like having little kids, you can't have anything nice because someone would do something to ruin it.

That last pic is really very pretty with the buds and contrast between the white and purple.

HC, I did the same thing in TN to keep my birds out of my flower beds. No geese to deal with though.

12. lover of birds

I've thought about doing that, as I did for a time when I had my Doberman, but gave up. Turkeys poking around in pots sounds cute (I know it's not!).

13. lover of birds

A solution is having perennials and rose bushes where birds are, since they're more difficult to destroy. The annuals will go out front where there are none of my own birds. I started another area enclosed with the vegetable garden just for roses and some flowers that is fenced.

I have one one flower bed all caged in, and would love to let the plants hang over the border.