FLOWERS

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by lover of birds, Aug 20, 2019.

1. lover of birds

lover of birds Active Member

A place to share all about your flowers! Pictures, care, information, advise.

Here are some of mine:

DSCN5959.JPG DSCN5778.JPG

DSCN4113.JPG DSCN3924.JPG DSCN5969.JPG

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

No way do you live in the deep south and have flowers like that. Those pics are kind of a good reason for me to move a little further north. Things start out like that then it gets too hot and it's over.

They are stunning. Someone knows what they're doing when it comes to planting.

3. lover of birds

Thanks. I thought flowers would do better in the south than the north, especially roses.

4. robin416

They might have at one time but it's so hot down here it just cooks any young growth. I actually had to shade veggies from the sun to keep it from damaging the plants.

5. Hencackle

Hencackle Member

I thoroughly enjoyed looking at those pictures. Thank you for sharing. Is that a Lisianthus (sp?) in the last pic? I have tried to grow those a long time ago. I just didn't have any luck. Either planted in the ground or in containers, the results were the same--sad. If you have tips for growing that flower, I'd love to know.

Now, zinnias...they do very well for me. I left too many volunteers in the vegetable garden this year. Oops! Lol. I had plenty of bouquets in the house.

Have you tried the Queen Lime Red or QL Blush zinnias? I think you will enjoy those.

Love your pond too. I had one at my other house and I miss it. I dug it waist deep and laid the rock border. Of course, I was a lot younger and I didn't have as many animals as I do now.

6. lover of birds

Yes that is Lisianthus. This is my first year growing them, so tips I give will be limited. They grow very, very slowly so it takes a lot of patience.

I started the seeds in the house under grow lights in late December. Sow on top of soil and do not cover with soil. Keep moist until sprouted (10-14 days). After sprouting let the soil dry out slightly between watering. Do not let the green stuff that grows on top of the soil develop. As the leaves grow larger the soil can dry out more between watering.

If kept too warm they will go dormant for weeks, or months. I think mine got too warm under the grow lights and that happened.

I'll plan to start seeds again in December this year, I'm going to utilize my greenhouse more after sprouted. The grow lights only have one light spectrum, so I'm thinking they'll do better if I put them in the greenhouse during the day to get the full spectrum of light.

I have the majority of them in the greenhouse now in long pots, and I'm still experimenting with supports. Some are planted in the ground in full sun.

It's been dry here now, but earlier this summer it rained a lot, and would have been too wet for them outside. in the ground. Control of amount of water they get helps. In warm dry climates they would do well outside.

So far, it looks like I have mostly white and there's one blue one that I'll post a pic later.

As for the Queen Lime Zinnias, I don't care for their looks, and I saw they had poor reviews. I would like to try Dahlia flowered zinnias next year.

I grew Dahlias this year for the first time, and next year I would like to try dinner plate Dahlias. I've seen some while driving by some properties around the area and they look spectacular.

7. robin416

You said the magic word, warm. The zinnias would probably do OK down here but the lisianthus probably not. I've got gerbera daisies out front that have suffered from this years heat and probably won't survive.

lover of birds likes this.
  8. Hencackle

Hencackle Member

The Lisanthus I had were purchased plants from a greenhouse. Nice, pretty plants that I transplanted in June. Full-sun flower bed in front yard. At that house, the sun doesn't come up over the ridge until 10am. Could have been the house sat below the road level and water ran down from the road (and ridge). If I try them again next year, I think I will use a flower pot.

Dinner plate dahlias are very easy. They did well at my old house and here too. I forgot to dig them up last fall and they surprised me and came back anyway. I just have 2. They're in my vegetable garden, at the end of the tomato and bean rows. I bought 2 dwarf dahlias this year on a whim. They are doing very well in a flower pot. I guess dahlias and I get along just fine.

A greenhouse--wow, you're lucky. I have a 3-tier LED grow light shelf to start my most of my vegetable plants. Anything that I can't direct sow.

Gerbera daisies were temperamental for me. I like their cheerful looking blooms even if they didn't like me.

lover of birds likes this.
  9. lover of birds

The top is the blue Lisianthus. It looks purple to me though.
    DSCN6040.JPG

I love the color of Morning Glory that grows here.
    DSCN6034.JPG

The Benary's Giant Zinnia are nice, but don't attract many butterflies, and I haven't seen hummingbirds on them.
    DSCN5904.JPG

10. lover of birds

I like these Scabiosa Zinnias. There are usually butterflies in the bed where these are planted.
    DSCN6049.JPG

11. robin416

I agree, even in the pic it looks purple. I wonder what would happen if I tried these in a pot so I could move around to avoid the worst of the heat here.

I would think the color of the giant Zinnia would have the hummers checking them out. I had one fly into my garage to check out a bag of potting soil because of the color red on the bag.

12. lover of birds

I have most of mine in pots. It can rain a lot here, and it's preferable to control the amount of water Lisianthus get.

I've read a review on the Queen Lime Zinnia that butterflies and hummingbirds wouldn't touch them. So, it seems they avoid the Zinnias that are bred certain ways. I always have lots of hummingbirds and butterflies on my smaller flowered Zinnias, which I think just adds to the flower garden.

13. robin416

I've seen my hummers at my irises and they check out my orchids if they happen to be blooming at the time. Most of what else might be blooming they ignore. This hot dry Summer has meant not much bloomed this year.

14. Hencackle

Hencackle Member

Love the color of the giant zinnia. I wrote that name down on my Seed Wish List. LOL
    I do have a few of the Queen Lime zinnias which I like to mix with the brighter colors in a bouquet. Just personal preference.

The other zinnias in the garden haven't drawn hummingbirds. Loaded with butterflies though. I've had hummers coming to the purple garden spray nozzle that I had hanging from the wrought iron hook outside the kitchen window. Bizarre. Had it not been for that, I wouldn't have known the birds were here. Yes, I have a real hummingbird feeder up now.

15. robin416

I was wearing a spring colored flowered shirt once. The hummers loved it until they figured out they weren't real flowers.

16. Hencackle

Hencackle Member

That’s hysterical, Robin. Had to have been one disappointed little hummingbird.

17. robin416

They're very color oriented. Seeing the one in the garage checking out the potting soil bag was a hoot. Which led me to check my feeder. It was empty.

Oh, I don't think I ever told you guys this. When we still lived in TN our hummers would come to the living room window to announce there was an issue. Like when they returned in the Spring, they announced their arrival by flying in front of the window. If it was empty, they would fly in front of the window.

18. lover of birds

In the house I put a bottle with flowers in two windows, until I saw it was teasing the hummingbirds who couldn't get to them! They're no longer a decoration.

19. robin416

That's funny and sad at the same time.

I know, the little buggers can break your heart when you realize you did something to confuse them. It's a good thing my orchids bloom in winter when they're no longer here because they'd be going crazy at the window with all of the blossoms.

20. Hencackle

Hencackle Member

I don’t remember that story, Robin. Funny, how a creature can get it’s point across to humans willing to figure out the body language. When I filled that feeder the first time, one of the hummers drank and then hovered at the window and looked at me for a few moments.
    Was she saying, “Thank you, but it’s about darn time, woman! Which one is your car?”

I’m guilty for moving the vase of flowers to the window sill above the sink. Currently, my only orchid isn’t blooming. It’s near that window too.