Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
If you are talking about in the house ... a flea trap works wonders. (I have 3 dogs and 2 cats in the house.)

All you need is a pie pan (or any pan with 1 in walls), soapy water and a light over the water. The fleas jump at the light and end up in the soapy water, where they can't get out.

This works very well! (Make sure the light will not tip over into the water. ;))

If you are talking outdoors well I have used nematodes but as we have 40 acres ... ;) They work well for a yard.

Best of luck.

I change the dogs bedding every other day in flea season.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your tips! Our dog are outside dogs, so luckily we don't have them inside the house, but I feel so bad for our dogs. I've tried shampoos, dips spot ob treatments and collars with no luck. We have 20 acres that they protect.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Barnbum374 said:
Thanks for your tips! Our dog are outside dogs, so luckily we don't have them inside the house, but I feel so bad for our dogs. I've tried shampoos, dips spot ob treatments and collars with no luck. We have 20 acres that they protect.
Advantage works wonders on our dogs. Plus, the stuff you hook to the end of your water hose for mosquito control (we like off brand) kills fleas as well! Just eat it dry before dogs re-enter.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try advantage. I've tried other brands, but had no luck with them and gave up on the spot on treatments.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
I've tried the Avantix II this year and it has been worthless. All efforts have been worthless...it's kept them down to a dull roar but the dog is still scratching. Never saw a year for fleas like last year and this one.....before I could always get by with a flea collar but not now.

Good luck and let me know if you find anything besides the usual...I've tried the healthy route(my usual) and the chemical route(collars, shampoo, dusting, meds on the skin/back, Ivermectin, etc.) but these are some kind of super fleas!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go to Home Depot and buy garden lime, it's about $3 a bag, on my 3/4 acre I use 2-3 bags in a broadcast spreader. The lime changes the ph of the soil and the fleas can't live in it, we haven't treated our dogs in years for fleas and have not even seen 1 on 4 dogs! Give it a try!

·
Registered
19 Posts
New product called vectra 3d for dogs...stops flea feeding in 5 mins, kills fleas in 6 hours after applying. It's only available at the vet. Seems
to work better then advantix. It's worth a try.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Barnbum374 said:
I'll try advantage. I've tried other brands, but had no luck with them and gave up on the spot on treatments.
I just ran into the same problem there really bad this year I finally broke down and got advantage nothing else was working and now were flea free thank god it works awesome.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
I haven't seen a tick in years unless it's when we traipse out in the woods for things...the chickens keep them snapped right up around here. I really can't remember the last time I took a tick off a dog or one of us.

·
Registered
84 Posts
hennypenny68 said:
Don't have a problem with those either cause of the chickens they gobble them up.
Unfortunately my girls have not been doing their job of tick eating. I am still finding a few. I think they are coming from neighboring unkempt yards.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hennypenny68 said:
I just ran into the same problem there really bad this year I finally broke down and got advantage nothing else was working and now were flea free thank god it works awesome.
Advantix II seems to be working better than anything else we tried. I'm going to add lime to the soil an see if that will completely take care of them.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I heard sprinkling diatomaceous earth helps to fight flea and mite problems organically.
This makes some sense, since they seem to need a humid environment.........but what about old fashioned flea powder?

·
Registered
33 Posts
We have never had fleas on our dogs til this year! I heard that a garlic pill a day helps & In two weeks the fleas have vanished! Now if i could just get the dogs to stop begging for the peanut butter every time i bring it out , I'll be okay!
Also, Taking a garlic pill every day myself has kept the ticks & chiggars from feasting on me this year! I recommend it to everyone - - It Really Works!! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts