Chicken Forum banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Serama King
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Oh great, more little poults. I think we've all lost our minds.
My last four poults just went out the driveway on their way to a new home. I hate showing birds in the rain, it just never seems to stop. The EWTs are to keep just for me and mine.

·
Administrator
19,752 Posts
PJ has mentioned that he's had his slowly disappear during breeding season after the wild birds make themselves known.

·
Serama King
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Something to watch for in the spring. My mallards are starting to fly so I will have to watch close that they don't migrate this fall.

·
Administrator
19,752 Posts
That's right. I did read that the Mallards had to be confined to they didn't take off.

Somehow PJ is getting his birds to stay home. He must be a turkey whisperer now.

·
Serama King
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I've had wild mallards before. If "home" is safe with good food and water, they won't leave. I rather expect that's true of the wild turkeys. It's all in the care, given reason wild birds leave.

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
That's right. I did read that the Mallards had to be confined to they didn't take off.

Somehow PJ is getting his birds to stay home. He must be a turkey whisperer now.
No, but I would say a couple of factors are involved in getting them to stick around. It's partially about how secure the birds feel in their environment. Right now my pair with their babies free range during the day and bring their babies to the back of the house at night. If they feel confined they become extremely anxious and noisy. The other thing is having pairs. An unattached tom or hen can be lured away by the wild flocks.

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts

·
Serama King
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
My bronze tom, last year, was the same way. Far more attentive to the new poults than the mother. But Robin, you're right, it is amazing; even more so to see.

·
Administrator
19,752 Posts
I don't know much about turkeys other than what you guys have told me. I never see a wild Tom with the hen and her poults. I expect it with my Guineas but this is special.

·
Serama King
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Yes, quite special. The same with my Pablo; not many roosters help with the chick's care to the extent he does. What I couldn't understand about my last year's bronze tom, after doing so well with the first poults, he totally ignored the second batch of poults.

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
Bird brains. If we ever understand them totally we'll be in trouble.
I have been remiss today, one of the farm trucks had a brake line failure and I had to replace it, but Melissa took some pics of the tom and hen with their poults. At night, they tend to divide up the chicks and they sleep under the parents wings.
papa and mama turkey.jpg
papa turkey 2.jpg
papa turkey 3.jpg
papa turkey.jpg

Reactions: robin416

·
Administrator
19,752 Posts
Absolutely love the family pics. Tell Melissa thank you from me please.

Do the parents do like Guineas and threaten if you get too close to the young?

81 - 100 of 108 Posts