First time chicken Mom

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Barbs75, Jan 8, 2021.

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. maybe

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Barbs75

Barbs75 New Member

Ok.will do. I want to learn all i can about my girls to keep them happy and healthy. Thanks

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Trust me, you'll learn something new everyday. Most of them delightful but some will be challenging. Like what trouble the birds can find to get in to. It's sometimes like having a whole boatload of little kids.

Poultry Judge likes this.

3. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Isn't that the truth!

4. Barbs75

Barbs75 New Member

I'm really enjoying these birds. They are hysterical. If it wasn't for the one horrible incident where our girl died, that was heartbreaking. But these three are a riot. I can't sit down in front of them, all three will jump in my lap. If I bend over to pick something up they are on my back. They love to be snuggled. At first I couldn't bring myself to eat their eggs, I felt like I was eating my grandchildren (I have no kids, only pets) but I'm over that now. If they can go through the trouble of making me eggs, I should be able to show my appreciation by eating them. I'm really just loving these birds!!!

5. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

I got a good giggle out of that one. Grandkids! No rooster, no grandkids. So you're safe.

Even my 9 year old Hamburg will do something from to time to make me smile. And the quail are just darling when they're behaving themselves.

6. danathome

danathome Well-Known Member

Sounds like you feed them well. Another source of calcium is the egg shells left over from cooking. Crumble them well and be sure they are dried. I mix the shells with the mash or it can be given separately. THIS DOES NOT CAUSE EGG EATING. When we have extra eggs I boil them for twenty minutes, mash them up good, and feed them as a treat; shell and all.