Chicken Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the proud first-time mommy of four new chicks. My husband and I attended a "Backyard Chickens" workshop about three and a half weeks ago and were given four 1-week old chicks to bring home.

The breeds are: (1) Cuckoo Marans, (1) Buff Cochins, and (2) Easter Eggers.

They all were hatched on September 25th (I'm told) so they are all three weeks old now. These pictures were taken October 17th.

If anyone can tell the sex yet (mostly just kidding!) then let me know.
They are all supposed to be female but there's that 10% error rate that has me worried. The lady that runs the farm ordered 100 chicks, so of those 100, ten of them could be male. I hope all of these are female.

In about a week or so the chicks will move out to this coop and run:

The run area is about 4.5' x 12'.

Here's inside the coop. (This picture has been borrowed from the builder's website. I'm too lazy to go out to take a new picture but ours looks just like this.)

It has a removable panel at the bottom to allow for the deep litter method.

Right now the chicks are upstairs in a spare bathroom bathtub with a red heat lamp, food, water, etc. They are quite happy and two of them are already fairly social with me (the Buff Cochins and the copper-headed Easter Egger).

I'm new at this and have been doing a lot of reading on this forum already. The forum will be a great resource as questions come up.

Oh, by the way, the Buff one is named "Bella", The copper-headed Easter Egger is named "Lucille", the one that looks like an owl or chipmunk has been named "Chipmunk" by my husband, but half of the time he calls her "Squirrel". I'll see which name sticks. The Cuckoo Marans chick is named "Wild Thing" because she is the most wary and skittish.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Beautiful coop and chicks! So glad you decided to get chickens! They're my favorite hobby I have ever had. Sorry to say, but I'm fairly certain your Cuckoo Marans chick is a rooster. :( Out of all your breeds the Cuckoo Marans is my favorite. Marans is my favorite breed. I love their chocolate colored eggs! :) Good luck on your chicken journey, lol. :D

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Hello & Welcome!

Come on in!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Welcome to chickenhood. :D What a lovely mix of starter chicks you brought home! Take lots of pics. They grow up sooo fast.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MaransGuy I hope you are wrong!! Here's a couple of newer pictures, from yesterday. The top pic looks like he/she has a large tail but that's just one of the Easter Eggers behind him/her. (Hope it's a her!!)

·
Registered
630 Posts
I hope I am too. I could be wrong. but it had an awful big white spot on its head when it was younger to be a hen. These updated pics make me think it may be a hen though, lol. I think it could go either way. :) Hope it's a hen though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to be honest, I was worried about that large white spot too, but it seems to have gone away. And the feathers are staying pretty black. But we have a ways to go until they are 3 months old so they may go through more changes along the way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you!! We worked on it today, making it more like a fortress. Wrapping the whole thing in 1/2" mesh pretty much in an attempt to prevent rats from getting into the chicken food.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens! I remember when I got my very first batch of chicks! I was so happy...hope u r too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts