Chicken Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so sad! I had my first stillborn of incubation. I had 2 ducklings that pipped their air sacks and were moving fine. Then today when I candled I was suspicious that one had died. So I did an eggtopsy. Sure enough she died. Fully formed, half absorbed yolk, just pipped into the sir sack and 12 hrs later dead. Any idea on what might have happened?
Sincerely, sad chicken mommy

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Did you open the incubator during the last 3 days of the hatch? This could be a possible cause, or it can be as simple as nature.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I am so sad! I had my first stillborn of incubation. I had 2 ducklings that pipped their air sacks and were moving fine. Then today when I candled I was suspicious that one had died. So I did an eggtopsy. Sure enough she died. Fully formed, half absorbed yolk, just pipped into the sir sack and 12 hrs later dead. Any idea on what might have happened?
Sincerely, sad chicken mommy
Generally when chicks develop fully and don't hatch the problem is poor ventilation or improper humidity. Here is an excellent site that explains this in more detail;

http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/poultry_pipped.html

Don't beat yourself up these things happen to ALL of us and the more incubating you do the more losses you will have, its just part of the program!:(

·
Registered
80 Posts
If it pipped into the air sack but not the shell it probably drowned, happens sometimes if too much moisture in the early part of incubation.

·
Banned
58 Posts
i believe i had my first still born last year. it was almost out but it stopped. i pushed it a little when all other chicks were in bator, but nope. :( it's sad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts