Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my first shipped Serama eggs today, 15 total. They felt very cold but I am still hoping for the best. I have never shipped eggs before so maybe they always feel like that, I don't know.

At the same time I have put my old hen with a new rooster in the hopes she might lay some fertile eggs this time. I got five from her and eleven from my two pullets. I marked all of them and popped them into the incubator today. I'll be back in 18-21 days to let you know my results!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Look at all then eggs, good luck and keep us posted!

I would like to try something like that but it's hard to find someone to ship to Hawaii. I'd also like to experience incubating store bought eggs.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
robopetz said:
Look at all then eggs, good luck and keep us posted!

I would like to try something like that but it's hard to find someone to ship to Hawaii. I'd also like to experience incubating store bought eggs.
If I knew how to ship, I could send ya some, but I think Hawaii has strict import rules...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
geminicowgirl said:
Maybe things in Hawaii are different but our store bought eggs are not fertile..... So confused why you would incubate these?
Y'all never seen "fertile" eggs in your grocer? They mainly have them at health food stores. They are fresh too, so they are still hatch'able.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
robopetz said:
Y'all never seen "fertile" eggs in your grocer? They mainly have them at health food stores. They are fresh too, so they are still hatch'able.
That is strange! But cool. We don't have a trader joes where I live.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The free range eggs in our grocer are not fertile by any means... They buy new pullets every two years but never any roosters!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'm not sure which ones you have available around you but there are "free range" that do have males present and people have successfully hatched these "free range" store bought eggs. Just depends on the farm I guess.

It's just interested and cool to me to hatch eggs bought from a store. Lol

·
Registered
363 Posts
robopetz said:
I'm not sure which ones you have available around you but there are "free range" that do have males present and people have successfully hatched these "free range" store bought eggs. Just depends on the farm I guess.

It's just interested and cool to me to hatch eggs bought from a store. Lol
Jealous... I would like to buy a dozen eggs and hatch them

1 - 20 of 35 Posts