First Rattle Snake this morning

Discussion in 'Parasites, Pests, & Predators' started by robin416, Jul 14, 2020.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

4F81B982-7CB6-4CEB-9539-D06C72D388E5_1_105_c.jpeg

Guineas really are good for something. One of them went running towards the front of the yard doing all those things Guineas do when it comes to something dangerous, talked quietly about it. I could see the "stick" from where I was and knew that wasn't a stick. He ran to me, then ran back towards it. I called him back since I didn't know what it was for sure.

I went out, without a gun, thinking it wasn't going to be anything until it rattled. I grabbed the closest gun which was my little .32 got it couple of times but it wasn't doing the job.

It was headed for the big Azalea that the Guineas like to hang out under. No way could I let it under it because I could never get at it. The little gun I used got it to turn.

I ran to the house for the shotgun not even sure it was loaded. It's been so long since I last used it I couldn't even remember how to check. Finally found the button I needed and gave it a blast.

That's the stump it retreated to making it very easy to not miss while I was shaking holding the shotgun.

Slippy and Thomas Lippert like this.
  2. MarkSmith

MarkSmith Member

That’s a ‘nope rope’

I hate rattlesnakes.

3. robin416

I can't believe I've live all of these years in places where they're known to be and never came across one. I could do with going another 30 plus years not coming across another.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

It's a big one too. How many rattles did it have? Glad you killed it and the Guinea's are ok.

Thomas Lippert likes this.
  5. robin416

I have no idea on the rattles. I'd have to not be scared witless to have counted rattles. It's dead in the stump and I AM NOT digging it out to count.

6. GaChicken_Chick

GaChicken_Chick rkluse4570

7. robin416

LOL You weirdo. But that's why we love you.

8. GaChicken_Chick

GaChicken_Chick rkluse4570

LOL AKA danger noodle or nope rope

9. robin416

Those descriptors are just a tad off the mark. Although nope rope is closer to what that thing was. We probably can't say it on the forum what we really think of them invading our safe places.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

Meat on the table! It's real easy to skin a snake. I did that with a big cottonmouth once. I salted the skin both sides and let it dry. Then put it on the dash in my truck on top of the deer hide I had on the dash.
    Counting the rattles (buttons) will give you an idea how old the snake is.
    DIG THAT RASCAL UP! LOL.

11. robin416

Does about three inches long tell you anything? Because that's as close to it as I'm going to get.

dawg53 likes this.
  12. robin416

Something did drag is mostly out of the stump. The body is huge, probably as big around as my forearm. Now that I think about it it might be bigger than my forearm.

dawg53 likes this.
  13. Frank Alvarez

Frank Alvarez New Member

They are good eating. Tastes like chicken. LOL. Cotton mouths are not good eating!

Slippy likes this.
  14. robin416

Something had it for dinner and it wasn't me.

15. Frank Alvarez

Frank Alvarez New Member

I would not waste free good meat or resources. The skins make good belts and hat bands or stretched on a board to impress. The rattles are neat to have. I have a rattle that my grandfather got that had 12 segments.

Slippy likes this.
  16. robin416

I'll call you when I shoot another one. I don't have an issue with non venomous, I move those all of the time. I won't touch a rattlesnake and no one can make me.

17. robin416

All I can say, is good Guinea.

18. MarkSmith

MarkSmith Member

Only good rattler is a dead one.

Don’t serve it to me, don’t skin it for me.... just bury the head deep and let the critters figure out the rest. Worked at a job site infested with them once. Killed three four footers on the gravel road on the way in.... five on the pad we were pushing in.... and 7-8 randomly throughout the day. Highest daily count was 19. Best daily count was 5.

I was only there one day. I was reassigned to different project. Told them if I was on site, my judge was going to be on my hip with bird shot. They had a pretty strong no firearms policy

19. robin416

Nope, nope, nope. I'd be sitting in my truck all day. The job should have issued those snake chap things to you guys if they expected you to work inside of rattlesnake city.