Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someday this week we will be getting 70 baby chicks in to raise for meat. Can't wait for the little balls of fluff to get here. We went with standard breed, all roosters, any tips?

·
Banned
825 Posts
I've READ that it is a good idea to put the water and the feed distant from one-another.....
.....to encourage EXERCISE and movement ....IF these chicks are CORNISH-X.
Also, it is often recommended to limit their feed ( NOT feed them as much as they'll eat ! )
BUT....admittedly....I have NOT, as yet, raised any of the Cornish-X.
( thinking about doing this perhaps later on ....but maybe I'll just go with Dark Cornish...-later.)
Too many "projects" right now.
I hope you do well with them !:)
-
ReTIRED-

·
Registered
88 Posts
Dont over feed them. We had 3 but something got them..they were big birds so have PLENTY of room. ours were Free Range and they Did GREAT!

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
Don't get too attached, they are not long range pets. They will eat enough that their legs won't hold them, and they will have trouble walking.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. We do have the freezer. Biggest reason he picked all roosters, so he's knows I can't keep more then 1 or 2 :) Not Cornish Crosses, went with this from Meyers, "This all- rooster assortment may include one or more of the following breeds: Golden Buff, Rhode Island Red, Black Star, Black Jersey Giant, Salmon Faverolles, Speckled Sussex, Cuckoo Maran, Welsummer, Black Australorp, Barred Plymouth Rock, White Plymouth Rock, Buff Orpington, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Buckeye, Golden Laced Wyandotte, and Dominique." According to tracking they will be here tomorrow, can't wait!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Good Luck!! we just had that many INSIDE!!! lets just say they we sold they as quick as we got them.. No more chicks for us. They like to keep me up at night.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
With those breeds there is no real advice. Just make sure you have plenty of room and watch out for the rooster fights. Most of the breeds can be butchered arounf 20-24 weeks old. Jersey giants mature very slowly so your looking at a year with them. I would also not feed them for 24 hours before butchering so you dont have to deal with a full crop. But as for feeding them, just feed them like any of other chickens. The feed restrictions are for the cornish x breed.

·
Banned
825 Posts
With those breeds there is no real advice. Just make sure you have plenty of room and watch out for the rooster fights. Most of the breeds can be butchered arounf 20-24 weeks old. Jersey giants mature very slowly so your looking at a year with them. I would also not feed them for 24 hours before butchering so you dont have to deal with a full crop. But as for feeding them, just feed them like any of other chickens. The feed restrictions are for the cornish x breed.
_____--

With THAT MANY roosters....you can charge your friends and neighbors $ 5.00 each to come and watch them. ( they'll fight )
Just tell the Sheriff......that ...as far as YOU know....there is NO BETTING going on....you're just raising chickens for MEAT !

:D :eek: :D :rolleyes:
Too bad that you haven't any "Hatch" chickens in that bunch !
:cool:
With THAT Group...I'd go with the Rhode Island Red as the "Survivor".....
....unless you have a Leghorn in the bunch.

" Now, Son....I say Son...(expletives deleted)......"
-Foghorn Leghorn.
:D
Ha-Ha !!!
-ReTIRED-:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts