First Hatch of the 2013

Discussion in 'Incubation & Hatching' started by twentynine, Dec 26, 2012.

1. twentynine

twentynine New Member

Started saving eggs today.

Going to be a Rhode Island Red only hatch.

If everything goes right I'll be starting 41 eggs New Years day.

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Oh boy. That's a lot of chicks! Good luck!

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

That'll keep ya out of trouble for a long while. ;) You'll have to keep us posted on how it goes for you. :)

4. DanielleBoland

DanielleBoland New Member

Good luck ill hopefully be starting some silkie eggs soon!!!!!!!

5. twentynine

twentynine New Member

Thanks for the well wishes.

41 is just 1/3 of what I can do on a full hatch.

Several reasons I'm not going for a full hatch. 1 I beleave my main breeding roosters Barrack and Obama are not getting the job done, so I have them in with the Rhode Island Red run together. 2 My barred rock hens have not snapped back from a very severe molt. Giving them extra protien, added 3 hours of artificial light in the morning. Still only getting about 5 eggs a week out of 8 hens. And I have my up and coming roosters (still to young to make it count) Mitt and Romney in the run.

I have 15 replacement barred rock hens, that should be coming into production in April/May, I hope to improve my black sexlink breeding with these guys. Plus I have 5 barred rock roosters that will be going to work right about the same time. So I hope to add a 3rd breeding population to the existing sexlink and RIR populations.

The RIR hens are not up to full production potential either, but I'm getting 4-6 eggs a day out of 10 hens. Currently in 2 days I have 10 eggs on a turner (yes, I turn them while they wait to go in the incubator), should have 5 or 6 more tomorrow.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  6. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

Imagine that?!?! Having those names might be the reason they aren't getting the job done!!! :D

Seriously, good luck with your 2013 hatch! I just set a batch of Buckeyes yesterday to test overall fertility and with any luck my first 2013 hatch will be in January as well.

Happy Hatching and Happy New Year!!!

7. twentynine

twentynine New Member

Day 3, saving eggs, only 13. Going to be hard to make 41 eggs in 7-10 days at this rate.

Just a little side note. My choice of names for my roosters is not to meant to be political it's just an easy way to remember names. I've had LBJ, Hubert (as in Humphrey), Ronald and Reagan, GW, on and on.

8. twentynine

twentynine New Member

9. twentynine

twentynine New Member

10. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Big hatch coming up!

11. twentynine

twentynine New Member

30 now. I'm debating ether to wait until I have 41, which could be as long as Friday. Or: go with what I have this evening.

12. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I vote keep going.

13. twentynine

twentynine New Member

Yep! That's what I decided.

Hopefully I'll have 35 tomorrow, 40 on Thursday.

Interesting side note here. I purchased 20 barred rocks from a hatchery, they were delivered November 30. All in all I am not at all pleased with how they are shaping up. They are one weak legged bunch. I am having unprecedented leg failures. After watching them for a few days I have had to cull 6. I can pick out the ones that will fail. What I notice is the middle digit on one or both feet are unusually long on the failures.

14. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Leg issues can be diet related. If you haven't already, I would contact the source and let them know. Vitamin deficiencies and excesses can cause leg and weakness problems. Too bad. It's so hard when they're chicks.

15. twentynine

twentynine New Member

Vitamin deficiencies!

Hey thanks Doc!

I was stumped. I have had them on a steady diet of named brand starter grower.

Very easy to use some sort of supplement. Eggs, milk, green veggies, I have all readily available.

Am I headed in the right direction

16. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Get a different bag of food. Sometimes quality control sucks.

17. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

If you are going to change feed do so slowly ... mix 50/50 to start. IMO

18. piglett

piglett Senior Member

i have to build a pen on 1 side of the coop
    everyone has been sleeping around
    as soon as i get that done i'll wait 3 weeks so no crosses & i'll start to pile up hatching eggs
    going to put silkies, buff orpingtons & imported english orpingtons in my bator

19. twentynine

twentynine New Member

Ok!
    Yes! Now I fully understand your reply. It could be an excess of vitamins or a lack of vitamin. So supplements could make the problem worse. New bag it is.

35 eggs set aside now. I will set tomorrow with 41 or less.

20. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Just a place to start. Honestly, I wouldn't wean though. If its bad food (aflatoxins etc.) then you want them off it ASAP. Even a fresher bag of the same brand from a different source or lot number could make all the difference.

That's my two cents worth. :)