Chicken Forum banner

First fairy egg!!!

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  boskelli1571 
#1 ·
Today to my delight, I found the loveliest little sage-green egg with white speckles- perfectly formed, just in miniature!

However it does lead me to a question... The egg undoubtedly comes from one of two 6 mo old Cream Legbars. Over the past week, I have also found 3 normally sized eggs with a hint of mint to their color. Because that seemed like a lot of eggs for one pullet during the winter mos, I had assumed both girls were laying. But since I've read fairy eggs are usually the product of a hen's first attempts to lay, I'm wondering if perhaps the other 3 eggs did come from the same lady.

Have any of you ever known your pullets to lay a normal egg and then a fairy egg before returning to normal? Thanks!

#3 ·
Yes indeed! It can happen at any age, sometimes a miniscule piece of tissue can break away from the oviduct and set off the egg laying process. If you crack it open you will likely find just white with perhaps a tiny blood spot :)

#4 ·
Thanks so much, to both of you for the reassurance!

Man, this one is so particularly cute, I wish there was a way to save it forever!! Plus, I'm excited to see it has white speckles... I read that if a hen is is capable of producing white specks, you can give her a dish of blackberries and/or blueberries and the speckles will turn out lavender for that egg. Can you imagine?? Sage green with purple specks!!

#6 ·
Thanks! My mom had us do this as an activity one summer when we were driving her crazy, no doubt! Apparently they were around the Ukraine for centuries and were popular for a while here during the Victorian era.

I'm afraid I shattered a good deal more that summer than I actually managed to paint!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.