First egg...

Discussion in 'Egg Quality & Storage' started by BootedBantam, Oct 26, 2012.

1. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

I think it from the Partridge cochin.........She stayed in the coop yesterday and this morning too. So I climbed in to clean it and check on her and WALLA an egg!!

I have no idea what to do with it? I found it where the rooster roosts? I kinda want to leave it in there and see what happens????? Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. BootedBantam

So I put the egg back in with fresh straw where they should nest. Then I found the rooster in there and the black hen? She is cackling at him to get out?

3. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Too funny. A Roo that lays eggs. Miraculous! Lol

4. BootedBantam

okay the black hen is pissed...she is pacing back and forth and very loud, sounds like she is screaming for dear life??

Attached Files:

5. BootedBantam

I posted two videos in the video section. Every time I go out to check on them there is another egg. There are three....What a great chicken day!! I marked them and plan to leave them and let nature take its course. I was so not ready for this, all my chicken information has left my brain..............

Attached Files:

6. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

I love the first picture of the egg with the coin. To put the egg in the proper prospective, what the flock IS THAT COIN?? :eek:

7. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Congrats on the first eggs. In my opinion, there's really no reason to leave these eggs in the coop. Scoop em up, take em in the house and enjoy. Eggs left in the coop can get broken. Once broken chickens will discover they taste good and even if they don't, snakes already know eggs taste good. Egg eating chickens and snakes in the nestboxes, two very bad things. I have a pic here somewhere of the 5 ft. long texas rat snake I pulled out of a nestbox not too long ago.
    If you are leaving the eggs in the hopes that she will go broody, I can tell you that a hen will go broody when she's ready to, eggs or no eggs. I have two seramas sitting on AIR right now. For three years I begged and pleaded with my hens to go broody. I tried all the tricks, including letting eggs pile up. Not a single broody. Now every spring I have broodies, broodies, everywhere broodies. Seramas are broody pretty much year-round, but with a good majority of the other breeds it's springtime before they decide to set.
    By the way, the screaming she's doing is called the egg song. Hens do it after laying their eggs and sometimes the roos join in the song.
    You'll never get tired of finding eggs; little miracles, every one. Again, congrats.

8. BootedBantam

I made Bantam brownies with the eggs. I did leave them out there overnight to see how they reacted. I only found one more egg this weekend. Thanks on the congrats and advice. And the coin is a Chuck E Cheese coin....oops, thought it was a quarter.

9. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I love first eggs! There's just nothing like it. However, I about cried when Lilah (My spoiled rotten australorp whom I can never deny thanks to those determined dark brown eyes.) laid her first egg while I was gone to work. My baby girl all grown up; no longer a baby. =( Bitter sweet. Saved her first egg, dated and weight recorded on it. :) Now I'm just waiting patiently for my Ameraucana to lay her first egg. For the past week, she's been trying to figure out what all the fuss with those nest boxes is about. She sees the other eggs in there but doesn't know what to think. Guess she'll soon find out huh. ;) I always feel kinda guilty seeing them work so hard on those eggs. All the grunting and pushing to get those things out. :eek: I do not envy my girls one bit! ;)

10. BootedBantam

I have been getting at least one egg a day. My chickens have become quite noisy. Except the partridge and funky frizzle, they remain quiet and dumbfounded? If my neighbors didn't know about Outlaw's hideout, they do now! Even Outlaw, my rooster, has been crowing extra loud in the mornings. I swear he is announcing to the neighborhood "We got eggs" I even had a neighbor ask me what was going on in my backyard with that dang rooster?? I said sorry, "we have eggs" I told her when I have enough to share she will be the first to have some eggs!