Chicken Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I check for eggs every single day. We have a black copper Marans (supposedly) that lays everyday. Today as I was checking, I found 2 eggs where she normally lays. She is the only hen that will NOT lay in the nestbox, instead choosing to lay under one of the roosting bars. Both eggs I found were almost identical, but u don't think she laid both eggs. I think our Cuckoo Marans started laying, but its so light!

The darker egg in the picture actually came from our golden comet. Egg #1 is from the BCM which used to be a lot darker. She is molting now and has been laying these light eggs for the past 2 months or so. Egg #2 may also be hers as it looks almost identical to egg#1, but it could also be from our 5 month old cuckoo Marans. Unless the BCM decided to lay 2 eggs today? Does that happen?

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These were the BCM's first eggs. As you can see, they were never as dark as Marans eggs were said to be, but they were still darker than any of our other eggs. Then she started to molt this summer and her eggs have been getting lighter since. Is there a way to get her to lay darker eggs?

Also is it normal for a cuckoo Marans to start laying light eggs instead of laying dark eggs and getting lighter as time progressed?

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never mind. That was a false alarm. The BCM must've laid 2 yesterday.

This is what I found today in the chicken run. She did not even go to the nest box to lay the egg! Lol! I guess it's time to employ the plastic eggs in nest boxes again.

Here are her first eggs. Darker than the BCM's first eggs, and speckled too, but its still not very dark for a Marans egg. I guess we just have bad luck with marans eggs :)

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts