First brown egg

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by ThreeJ, Aug 5, 2012.

1. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

Today is the day, we found our first egg.:p The kids were with me, and were the ones to find it. Then to add to the excitment we found a kitten running around the barn. I can't wait for the rest to start laying.:D

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Awesome ! Congrats! :D

3. Keith

Keith New Member

Awesome! How old is the hen?

4. rob

rob New Member

congratulations on your first egg :)

5. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

Thanks all... they are about 5 months old.

6. ScottV

ScottV New Member

Congrats! That means I only have 5 months, minus 2 days to go. Lol My new flock is 2 days old.

7. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

Funny thing is, I asked the kids to put it in the outside fridge for safe keeping. We went to add the second egg with it and found the first one in the freezer. :confused:Thanks kids.:rolleyes:

8. jtwins

jtwins New Member

Finding the first eggs of any new edition to the flock is always so fun and exciting!

9. james1952

james1952 New Member

We found our first yesterday. We have 15 chickens and don't know which one layed. Also one today in the same spot. Our chickens are 4 months and one week old.

10. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

2 more eggs I will have my first dozen. I think all this heat we have had has delayed the egg laying.

11. hollyosborn

hollyosborn HollyOsborn

YAY on the egg and WOOHOOO on the kitten!!!!

12. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

What I thought was a kitten ended up being a cat with 2 kittens.

13. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Well the new little family needs a home and security too. Get her spayed and you've good some homeland security for the chickens. My 7 cats sit on top of my parrot cage. We all live in harmony.

14. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

She is deffinetly an outdoor cat. The only time anybody can touch her is when she has food in front of her. The kittens we only see when they peak out of hiding places in the barn. They do have some security . Cats don't live long around here. The coyote population is very high here. I will do my best to protect them and gain their trust.

15. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Generally when they are pregnant or nursing they are much friendlier. Might be your best chance to get her in a carrier and to a vet for spay and vaccines. Unless you want her feral And breeding. Good luck with them all.

16. Westelle

Westelle New Member

Catch her in a have a heart kennel...take her to get spayed at a community low cost spay and neuter clinic...bait the trip with a can or a spoon of cat food from a can...if you catch the kittens first put them in a safe room or kennel. WHERE do you live...

17. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

I live in north west Indiana out in the country. It is a big farming comunity. I will have to catch them this fall and get their vacs. I will at least do that. I will check on getting them fix , or finding a good home too.

18. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

My suggestion would be Don't put it off. By then they will be much harder to catch and may be further beyond socializing. Do it now while they are small and likely mom is still nursing them. They start to wander out at 5 weeks but will nurse until about 8 weeks. Do it now or it will be do much more difficult. And yes you can spay her while she is nursing them. It's mostly for comfort and love at this stage and much less about nutrition.

19. Westelle

Westelle New Member