Chicken Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been out of town for a week now and our Seramas just started laying about a month ago. I put most their eggs in my bator test run, not really expecting them to be vital. But, just went out to check on the ladies, and apparently we will be getting our first experience with broody. I only hope my sister in law that was watching them happened to notice when she went broody. Will have to find helper out of the box so I can count and mark the eggs. There was also an egg in the other box, so, I tried to sneak it in, just in case. Dolly didn't seem to like me doing that, but, ohhhh well.

·
977 Posts
That's how we hatched our first eggs! Momma did all the work. Out of 10 eggs, 9 hatched. Course 5 of them were boys! She did a great job too! I kind of missed having the babies in the basement but she enjoyed the outside with her!
Hope you get some babies and post some pics!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Ooo, a broody Serama. I am jealous! Mine refuse to go broody.... or use a nesting box... or refrain from using their eggs as soccer balls. SIGH.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BlackCrowFarm said:
You don't candle your eggs?
We did a few, but this is the first batch. The person that is our "live in person" mentor, recommends to only open the bator if we need to add water, or remove an oozing egg, until time to move out of the turner. I could not resist and did candle a few, but, not all. I am sure we will learn as time goes, but, while I won't to candle them all, the mrs reminds me how bad I will feel if none hatch and I think it was because I opened it, and Mel (chicken mentor) recommended against it.....

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WeeLittleChicken said:
Ooo, a broody Serama. I am jealous! Mine refuse to go broody.... or use a nesting box... or refrain from using their eggs as soccer balls. SIGH.
One of mine was only laying in the run at first, but the last few eggs have seemed to find the nest box. :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'm trying to get my button quails to go broody. Ive read its tough to get to do it. They just lay and lay sit on them for a min and run off. I've also read that it's been bred out of them, so that's why it's rare.

·
1,466 Posts
That's how we hatched our first eggs! Momma did all the work. Out of 10 eggs, 9 hatched. Course 5 of them were boys! She did a great job too! I kind of missed having the babies in the basement but she enjoyed the outside with her!
Hope you get some babies and post some pics!
hey you got a new pic up
i hope George will be a daddy soon
the 3 young girls are still shy around him but the other 2 enjoy his company:D

piglett

·
1,466 Posts
put a few golf balls in the nest boxes so they get the idea
every hen wants a cluch of eggs & when they see the golf balls they think "oh wow i already have a head start"

piglett

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
When do silkies normally go broody, at what age? My Pheobie is 5 mos now and she's always staring at the button quail eggs and gently with touch it but that's it. Lol

·
977 Posts
piglett said:
hey you got a new pic up
i hope George will be a daddy soon
the 3 young girls are still shy around him but the other 2 enjoy his company:D

piglett
I will cross my fingers that George did his job!
Silkies are doing rather well together outside.
Got one egg yesterday! It's a start!

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
There is no age that they go broody, it is a hormonal change. They will lay a clutch of eggs, then the hormones kick in, and they go broody. It's nature's way of making sure the eggs get hatched!

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
It can be triggered by light through the eyes to the pineal gland. That starts the hormone cascade. Generally Spring when food is becoming plentiful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts