Guineafowl Finally got a pic

Discussion in 'Gamebirds' started by robin416, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

There's three inches of snow this morning, I'm not ready for this.

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Is anyone ready for full on Winter? Ever?

3. Poultry Judge

4. robin416

Caught the little bugger. It was so suspicious of the Guinea pen that it had to check it out very carefully before it would enter. It had to be empty, no other big birds in there. This evening was the night.

Dang, he's strong even though he's nowhere near the size of the others.

He's in with the old Hamburg hen and the quail. He seems to be doing OK for the moment, has a roost that is close to the Guineas in the next pen. Hamburg girl isn't real pleased but I'm hoping she's not too old and will get over it.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  5. Poultry Judge

Well, good luck, I hope it has a good outcome. You have put a lot of effort into saving this one.

6. robin416

Unfortunately, I've never been able to give any up without a fight. My dogs, my cats, my birds.

Baby is thinner than it should be. Probably because it avoided the pen when other birds were in there.

If I can train it to return the little bird pen I'll let it out to forage during the day at some point.

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.
  7. Poultry Judge

Hopefully, that will work!

8. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Well-Known Member

I hope that works for the poor little fella! That’s a hard call- I don’t think I’ll let anything go without a fight either... just can’t! I can’t stand to see them in pain or suffering in any way. Hate that.

Will you need to do anything about the actual eye, do you think? (Could you???)
    Or do you think his body will naturally take care of what is left or whatever?

9. robin416

That eye is the weirdest looking thing. It looks fake. It's like it's frozen in place. It's not red or weeping. I wasn't even sure I was seeing what I was seeing when I thought he was blind in it. But leading with the left eye with the head cocked so the left eye faced forward was confirmation.

It's adapting OK with the non Guinea birds. It gets upset if the others move too far away and I have to go round them up closer to the pen.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  10. Poultry Judge

So, if it's like a chicken then the left eye can see distance.

11. robin416

But it can see close too since it finds all of the mealworms, millet and peanut suet.

When I walked to the mailbox this afternoon the flock was in front of the house and Baby was not happy. When I walked back they decided to follow me but when they got close to the chicken pen Baby ran away from them. That's sad. He wants to be with them so bad yet is so afraid of them runs away even though he's behind wire.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  12. Poultry Judge

That is sad, it will be an ongoing adventure trying to integrate it safely into the flock.

13. robin416

So, guess who's in with the Quail/Hamburg. Baby refused to go up last night. When I went out this morning to feed and hand out treats it saw me doing that in the little bird pen and was pacing outside as I tossed the treats. I opened the door, hoping none of the quail saw the door open. In walked Baby. And it can stay there.

14. Poultry Judge

15. robin416

Things with the little fart change so often. He's back in with the big flock, his choice. But that's not what I was going to talk about.

Something is wrong with one of the birds. It obviously does not feel well. I'm wondering if with them having put themselves up early if it got hurt with how they pound on each other.

16. Poultry Judge

Maybe, I do remember mine being very rough with other birds and each other.

17. robin416

All I can do is cross my fingers. I've treated one with an eye infection in the past. It was not something I'd like to repeat.

18. Poultry Judge

19. robin416

Bad enough that it's not joining in with the peanut suet frenzy. It's neck is drawn in, neck feathers ruffled and moving very slowly.

20. Poultry Judge