Chicken Forum banner

101 - 120 of 141 Posts

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I know you were not isolated and were a man of the country, there must have been some you've come across that achieved the same thing.

I know of some that had theirs coop trained, that's probably where I got the idea from and why I never gave it a second thought to do the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
3,160 Posts
No, I never have heard of any being trained around here. The farm next door had seventeen last year. They are fenced in but not netted on top. They are down to four right now due to hawks. Years ago, I would often lose a free range bird per day to hawks. But my bunch is smaller, fenced and netted now.

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I wouldn't think hawks but four legged critters took that many out. I know they were on our TN property and I had to be on high alert for them going after the birds during the day. I actually charged out of the house once when I saw a fox after one of my guineas. My dogs kept them away most of the time.

Add in Guinea girls making nests out in the fields and the drop in numbers would continue.

Hawk attempts were made but the guineas were too big and strong for them to kill them.

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Red Tails were predominate in TN.

First thing this AM the birds decided to misbehave. I left Baby and one female in the coop, neither was very happy. What it didn't help with was keeping the flock at the house.

I heard a ruckus and could tell they were up to no good again. I spotted them going through the woods (they thought they were being sneaky) heading to the next property over. I ran and got my keys, drove over and met them over there. They had gone over again to harass the neighbor's chickens.

I pushed them back into the woods, waited until I could tell they were out, drove back home. Then I baited the flock leader and his female into the pen. The rest of the flock has stayed close with him locked up.

They are incredibly stubborn.

·
Super Moderator
3,160 Posts
You are describing some serious behavior, now I feel bad for teasing you about them. It's scary how stubborn they can be. I wonder what's up?

·
Registered
634 Posts
No, I never have heard of any being trained around here. The farm next door had seventeen last year. They are fenced in but not netted on top. They are down to four right now due to hawks. Years ago, I would often lose a free range bird per day to hawks. But my bunch is smaller, fenced and netted now.
That's some serious predation. Here I see black eagles and crested serpent eagles circling overhead every day, but I've never seen them swoop. People say they regularly take chickens but I've not seen it yet. Ours hide under cover when they hear their distinctive calls.

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Red Tails are pretty sneaky, never make a sound. I had one swoop my birds with me standing there. Not sure what happened but it never made contact and took off.

You are describing some serious behavior, now I feel bad for teasing you about them. It's scary how stubborn they can be. I wonder what's up?
It's the hatch from this Summer. The first year can be pretty challenging with them. It's when they will find the most things to do that you don't want them to.

Where my birds over a year old respected the fence the younger birds would fly over which left me leaving to go down the road to round the flock up. After a year old they don't do that type of thing anymore.

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I didn't get to sleep until after 1 last night so I slept in. I went out in my robe and opened their door. Sitting here in my robe with my first cup of coffee I realized it was too quiet. Sure enough, they were over near the next property.

I could see two of them in a tree. I got dressed, drove over but couldn't spot them in the woods. I stood back and I started seeing more and more of them in the top of the trees. Drove home, called and they all flew out of the trees.

Something scared them up there. I wish that would mean they won't go back. But you know how wishes work.

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Don't hate me but we're still in the 50's at night. Actually that's new, we were in the 60's last week.

It could have been the people that live there running them off. They don't know them so they'll go to the trees to get away. It could have been a fox, I know there's a family in the area.

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Remember I said I thought Baby was blind in one eye and that appeared to be sunken. I have no doubt now because it's sunken even more. It's very noticeable.

Now I need to decide what to do about it. Do I let it stay with the flock or put it in with the quail? It spent last night outside by itself again. It's a timing thing. If I can get it in the coop before the others go in then it works but if I can't then he refuses to go in and to get beat up.

Basically, do I let it be a Guinea or make it miserable by separating it completely from the flock? Even if it means I lose it sooner than I want to by leaving it with the flock.

·
Super Moderator
3,160 Posts
Remember I said I thought Baby was blind in one eye and that appeared to be sunken. I have no doubt now because it's sunken even more. It's very noticeable.

Now I need to decide what to do about it. Do I let it stay with the flock or put it in with the quail? It spent last night outside by itself again. It's a timing thing. If I can get it in the coop before the others go in then it works but if I can't then he refuses to go in and to get beat up.

Basically, do I let it be a Guinea or make it miserable by separating it completely from the flock? Even if it means I lose it sooner than I want to by leaving it with the flock.
That is a difficult call.

101 - 120 of 141 Posts